Scroll Saw Upper Blade Block

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Scroll Saw Upper Blade Block

Post by edma194 »

I want to try to use the upper blade holder from the Shopsmith Scroll Saw on my Delta Scroll Saw. The quick release mechanism I have is releasing really fast, like immediately after inserting a blade. The assembly is held on with 1/8" roll pin just like the Shopsmith version.

According to the Scroll Saw Service Parts List, different parts 18 and 18m have been used:
18 518345 1/2" Tee Knob Assembly 2 14.56
18m 518156 Special Screw 1/4-20x3/4 2 4.95

Does anyone know the difference between these parts? Are both actually used?

In this photo of a Scroll Saw from paulrussell there appears to be some additional mechanism on the upper blade block between the roll pin and part 18. I don't see that anywhere on the diagram, anyone know what it is?
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Scroll Saw Upper Blade Block

Post by chapmanruss »

Ed,

I'm not sure I can completely answer your question. I have the Blade Block Upgrade Kit on my 1990 Gray Scroll Saw. It is from the link below.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... blocks.htm

I would have to guess that ref # 18 and 18m from the parts diagram and list may be different parts doing the same thing. The drawing shows different parts than the Blade Block Upgrade does, specifically the screw that locks the blade in place plus the diagram has an additional screw ref #13. The difference may be what comes on the current Teal Scroll Saw and the parts used to upgrade the older Scroll Saws like mine. If the Blade Block Upgrade Kit looks like it would work for you based on what is seen in the pictures you could give it a try.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Thanks Russ. I didn't realize there was an upgrade kit but the parts shown there look just right. I'll take a close look at the lower blade holder on my saw also, in the end it may be worth ordering that whole upgrade kit and replacing both.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I wish I had a better understanding of the Blade Blocks too. My saw is 555220, I bought it second (at least) hand. From an estate, therefore a seller that did not know it was a scroll saw and wasn't well equipped to discuss it. It seems to be missing some parts. I have yet to get a blade to stay on it. Mine also does not look like Paul's, missing the same features that I think Ed is referring to. I have been thinking that my problem is that I do not have the "blade mounting fixture" mentioned in the manual for my model and kind of put it aside.

The manual lacks the detail to clearly understand the blade blocks, so mine may or may not have been upgraded. The blade blocks look similar to those that Russ referred to. Do those negate the need for a mounting fixture? If yes, is there any obvious way to identify the various versions?

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

David,

Both Scroll Saws I have owned are Model 555220 like yours. They are one of the Gray Scroll Saw versions one made in March 1990 and the other in June
1990. They are the ones that have the old blade block alignment guide on the edge of the table. The other has the guide separate from the table. That is the main difference I know of for the Gray Scroll Saw. I do not know why in the description of the Blade Block Upgrade Kit in the online catalog lists it only for Models 555715 or 555685. That could be a left over from when they offered the Blade Change Upgrade which included additional parts like the clear cover to replace the gray painted one found on Model 555220. David if you could add some pictures of what you have and the problem with it that would help show the problem you are having getting a blade to stay on it. If you do have the quick change blocks you no longer use the mounting fixture and the guide that comes with the Model 555220 Scroll Saw.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

edma194 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:09 am In this photo of a Scroll Saw from paulrussell there appears to be some additional mechanism on the upper blade block between the roll pin and part 18. I don't see that anywhere on the diagram, anyone know what it is?
I have made multiple modifications to my scroll saw, including deleting the spring loaded quick release on the upper arm and adding brass shims between the arm and the blade holder.
20210421_175117.jpg
20210421_175117.jpg (160.32 KiB) Viewed 1401 times
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

paulrussell wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:21 pm
I have made multiple modifications to my scroll saw, including deleting the spring loaded quick release on the upper arm and adding brass shims between the arm and the blade holder.
20210421_175117.jpg
I saw some of your mods in another thread, it looks like a pretty basic mechanism. If I wasn't short on patience right now I'd try to fabricate something, seems pretty basic to me. I'll try Shopsmith to see if they can recommend specific parts, but if not I'll just order one of those upgrades and get this over with. I don't need the saw that badly but my son did a lot of the work to refurbish this machine and he should get to see if finished and working.
Ed from Rhode Island

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

In paulrussell's picture above it shows a different mounting for the Blade Block than the older Scroll Saw used. The upper and lower arm ends are different and use a locking screw to hold the Blade Block in place as shown in the green circle in the picture below. With the older Scroll Saws using removable Blade Blocks they have a spring loaded pin to hold the blocks in place and different arm ends to hold the pin & spring. The part above the screw used to lock the Blade Block in place is a cam and flips over to the position shown in the picture after the blade is installed.

_
Scroll Saw upper blade lock.jpg
Scroll Saw upper blade lock.jpg (92.16 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
_
Below shows the Blade Block Upgrade on a Model 555220 Scroll Saw.

_
Scroll Saw Blade Block on 555220.jpg
Scroll Saw Blade Block on 555220.jpg (79.57 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
Russ

Mark V 520
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

For my usage it's just the Blade Block and Thumb screw that are needed, those will replace all of the parts 126 to 133 in the picture below. It'll probably need washers or some filing to get the block aligned correctly, but the Shopsmith part should fit in the place of the original assembly in the tension adjust/support arm, part 122 below. The roll pin 123 is 1/8" like the Shopsmith part.

blade block.jpg
blade block.jpg (27.56 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
Ed from Rhode Island

DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

chapmanruss wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:38 pm In paulrussell's picture above it shows a different mounting for the Blade Block than the older Scroll Saw used. The upper and lower arm ends are different and use a locking screw to hold the Blade Block in place as shown in the green circle in the picture below. With the older Scroll Saws using removable Blade Blocks they have a spring loaded pin to hold the blocks in place and different arm ends to hold the pin & spring. The part above the screw used to lock the Blade Block in place is a cam and flips over to the position shown in the picture after the blade is installed.
..._
Below shows the Blade Block Upgrade on a Model 555220 Scroll Saw.

_
Scroll Saw Blade Block on 555220.jpg
Russ - My upper Blade Block looks a lot like the one in the lower picture. The black plastic bits on the ends of the blade mounting screws were broken off, but I think those screws are otherwise correct. First question, what goes into the mounting block from the other side? It looks like it should be a setscrew(?), but with what type of tip? My upper had nothing and my lower has a setscrew with a pointed tip. (Almost certainly not correct.) Mine has the black plastic cam at the top. Are there any other identifying characteristics of the Blade Block Upgrade? Assuming I have that Upgrade, does that mean I don't need the Blade Mounting Fixture that I don't have? And, again assuming yes, are there any tricks to mounting the blade, or is it release the cam, insert blade, tighten screws, engage cam? Thanks,

Edit: I should add that the hinged cover on mine is gray metal, not clear plastic as shown in the second pic.

- David