Scroll Saw Upper Blade Block

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Scroll Saw Upper Blade Block

Post by chapmanruss »

David,

Lets cover this first
are there any tricks to mounting the blade, or is it release the cam, insert blade, tighten screws, engage cam
That is pretty much it followed by adjusting the Tensioning Knob.

There is not anything on the left side of the blocks as shown in the picture below. The flip handle screw on the right side locks the blade in place. The top assembly is the upper block with the cam and elongated slot and the bottom assembly is the lower block.

_
555708 Blade Block upgrade.jpg
555708 Blade Block upgrade.jpg (4.8 KiB) Viewed 542 times
_
The ends of the arms on the older Gray Model 555220 Scroll Saw are different because the original blade mounting blocks were removed from the arms for mounting the blades. This was done by pulling the spring loaded pin out to remove or insert the blocks on the end of the arm as seen in the picture below. The original pair of Mounting Block Assemblies included 3 parts, the Blade Holder, Blade Clamp and Socket Head Cap Screw which is shown in the drawing below.

_
555220 original Blade Block.jpg
555220 original Blade Block.jpg (13.57 KiB) Viewed 542 times
_
In the picture below is the upper arm of the Model 555220 Scroll Saw and the lower arm end is similar.

_
555220 Scroll Saw Upper Arm End.jpg
555220 Scroll Saw Upper Arm End.jpg (76.93 KiB) Viewed 542 times
_
Using the Scroll Saw Blade Block Upgrade Kit eliminates the need to use the original removable pair of Blade Blocks and the Blade Mounting Fixture. The upgraded Blade Blocks are no longer removed when mounting the blades. Because there is no change to the arm you can switch back and forth between the original blocks and the upgrade blocks if desired.

The clear plastic cover was part of the Blade Change Upgrade that Shopsmith made available in the past. That is the main difference between it and the Scroll Saw Blade Block Upgrade Kit that is still available.

Neither the original Model 555220 Blade Blocks or the upgraded Blade Blocks use any set screws.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Thanks Russ. So there are holes on the left side of the Blade Blocks and they are threaded, but nothing goes in them IIUC. In the picture you reposted (originally from paulrussell) his blade is approximately centered in the Block, which is why I concluded that something is in the hole on the left. If I do it the way I'm now understanding my blade will be hard against the left side of the Block. Just for comparison, I don't know if the new Blade Blocks are the same, on the Service Parts diagram the item I'm questioning would be #13. Described as "Screw." Now I'm wondering if I confused things by calling them setscrews, or if they are really not used in my Blocks.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

David,

In the picture below the upper quick release Blade Block upgrade is shown on my Model 555220 Scroll Saw. The spring pin goes through an elongated hole on the upper block which allows for the cam action. The lower block (not shown) does not have an elongated hole or the cam as shown in the picture of my previous post. Neither block has a set screw or any hole on the left side where the blade mounts, only the threaded hole on the right for the thumb lever lock screw. The lock screw presses the blade against the opposite side of the opening for the blade to hold it in place.
Attachments
Scroll Saw Blade Block on 555220.jpg
Scroll Saw Blade Block on 555220.jpg (79.57 KiB) Viewed 518 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.