M5 MOUNT ROUT TABLE MOD

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

M5 MOUNT ROUT TABLE MOD

Post by JPG »

I recently acquired a rout table.
1OEM FENCE.jpg
1OEM FENCE.jpg (249.19 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
Although typical these days, I am not impressed with the extruded aluminum "angle iron" with long slots. Neither do I like the positioning clamps that require several turns of the three fluted knobs. Pix is rotated from horizontal.

I decided to make an alteration.
2hole(s) location.jpg
2hole(s) location.jpg (315.01 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
Without any thought I marked 4 locations each for 2 sets of clamping t-nut holes. Upon some thought occurring I decided on one of those 4 locations. That location is very close to 510/520 table holes for a "real" shape/rout/sand fence.

So counter bored two holes with 7/8" bottom and 3/8" top diameter. 3/8 for a t-nut sleeve and 7/8 for the t-nut flange od. Used a "horizontal drill press".
3horizontal boring.jpg
3horizontal boring.jpg (218.97 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
Awkward fer sure but I had already aligned the 'legs'. Not impressed with table raw material - resembled impregnated paste board(think cereal boxes).

Holes done.
4tnut holes.jpg
4tnut holes.jpg (187.49 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
Now What to use in those t-nuts.
5.16-18 LOW 5.32.jpg
5.16-18 LOW 5.32.jpg (489.24 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
5/16-18 low profile cap screw that has a 5/32 hex socket.

The deed is done!
6COMPLETE.jpg
6COMPLETE.jpg (181.09 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
Screw length results in about 2 turns needed to tighten once threads are engaged. I intend to make washers with a tighter fit to the screws. The fence is the current version.

Now about mounting a router . . . :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: M5 MOUNT ROUT TABLE MOD

Post by RFGuy »

Yeah, I have that exact same router table. Those are some nice mods that you made as the fence is rather weak on that particular design.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I agree with the approach. The fence is easier to adjust and to adjust accurately. Good show.

I am intrigued by the carriage bolt/nut arrange you have employed for attaching the table to the extension table legs. I have used just threaded rod.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Nothing exotic re the carriage bolts. Bolts eliminate need to cut allthread to length. Square under threads allows tightening loosening the bolts with open end wrench although that should only be relevant initially.

BTW why did you rotate the pix to place the FLOOR at the top?

Oh and I did drill a very small thru pilot hole first.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG,
Nice solution to the original fence design. I don't like "L" bracket fences either. It could be done with any of the three Shopsmith Shaper Fences just put the attachment holes in the correct place although I think I would not want to use the one for the original Mark VII with the mounting holes between the adjustment knobs.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

chapmanruss wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:56 pm Nice solution to the original fence design. I don't like "L" bracket fences either.
+1 on the "L" Brackets, I think I might even have two sets and I've never used either. Perhaps they will be useful in conjunction with the WoodAnchor system... ;)

JPG - Are you using the third leg stabilizer for your table or the main table? (Or other?) If main table, is there any connection between the tables or is gravity sufficient? I've had a couple of the white tables from the SS standalone router table, bought both used and both had considerable sag. It has been correctable with re-enforcement. How is this version for flatness?

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

DLB wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:12 pm . . .

JPG - Are you using the third leg stabilizer for your table INTEND TO
. . .
I've had a couple of the white tables from the SS standalone router table, bought both used and both had considerable sag. It has been correctable with re-enforcement. How is this version for flatness?

- David
I have not yet used nor checked for flatness. I shall check flatness!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Well, that's simply brilliant.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

JPG wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:57 pm

. . .
I've had a couple of the white tables from the SS standalone router table, bought both used and both had considerable sag. It has been correctable with re-enforcement. How is this version for flatness?

- David
A brief look and it appears acceptable. One corner is barely 'low'.(less than 1/32)(did not measure)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:51 am
JPG wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:57 pm

. . .

- David
A brief look and it appears acceptable. One corner is barely 'low'.(less than 1/32)(did not measure)
Pictures would sure be nice.

How do "you" test for flatness?

How flat does a router table "need" to be to achieve good clean edge cuts?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.