Lift Assist, should I buy it?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

doug45601 wrote:Lift Assist installed! Works Great! .... All parts were a good fit and only minimal adjustments were required as indicated in the instructions..

After complete install, I tested it's complete operation and it works as advertised. Did howeever, discover my table carrage didn't want to slide when unlocked. Thought something was twisted and became a little concered. The carrage would slide if I banged it with the back of my hand. Discovered the carrage lock was impacted with sawdust and wouldn't fully unlock.. Took the locking assembly apart, cleaned out the sawdust, reassembled and works great. BTW if you deceide to clean your carrage assy lock, be careful of the big spring. Kinda tricky to reassemble but with patience and a helping hand (a wood clamp for me) everything worked out.
Darned new lift assists!!! They will surely help to avoid hernias, but they cause impacted sawdust!!!! :eek: Don't you just hate those impactions?

I'm almost a little sorry about playing with your post and showing my weird sense of humor. Enjoy your new lift! I'll have one, un dia. Thanks for the report!:)
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
doug45601
Gold Member

Post by doug45601 »

charlese wrote:Darned new lift assists!!! They will surely help to avoid hernias, but they cause impacted sawdust!!!! :eek: Don't you just hate those impactions?

I'm almost a little sorry about playing with your post and showing my weird sense of humor. Enjoy your new lift! I'll have one, un dia. Thanks for the report!:)

Well, perhaps "impacted" was a wrong choice of a word.. should have said "clogged"..

My oldest grandson wants to launch wood scraps across the shop with my new catapult. He's seen too many watermellon throwing contest I guess.
tom_k/mo
Platinum Member

Post by tom_k/mo »

I just installed my lift kit today... Well worth the money. I personally think that should be a standard feature, not an accessory.
ShopSmith MarkV-520 with Belt Sander, Jointer, Band Saw, Strip Sander, Scroll Saw and Biscuit Jointer SPTs and a DC-3300...
Woodworking Hobbyist (Check out all my Woodworking Plans (http://vbwhiz.isa-geek.net/plans)
Aspiring Sandcarver: Breaking glass one grain at a time.
Black Powder Shooter (love the smell of burning sulfur).
fjimp
Platinum Member

Lift Assist on special 25% 0FF

Post by fjimp »

WOW 25% off on the lift Assist. That's a great deal for a back saver that really works. Fjimp:) :D :o
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
bigted
Gold Member

Lift Assist Special

Post by bigted »

I see that there are two part numbers for the lift assist - does anyone know what Mark V's have 1.875 bench tubes?
doug45601
Gold Member

Post by doug45601 »

Generally speaking, MK V's manufactured BEFORE 1972 use the 555998. That info came out of the catalog. When I called to order my lift, I was told to order the 555975 because the way tubes on my 1995 MK V was LARGER. That tells me that the MK V's, 1972 and older with tubes: 1.875 bench tubes (less then 2").

I'm sure someone else may have more details and will post... so don't take my word for it.... Just passing along what I learned and my observations..
billmayo
Platinum Member

Lift Assist, should I buy it?

Post by billmayo »

The lift assist is great for us older generation. I recommend measuring your bench tubes to see if they are 1 3/4" or 1 7/8". I have only found 2 60s made Shopsmiths (Gilmer Drive and 1 1/8 HP motor) with the larger 1 7/8" bench tubes in my many Shopsmith repair jobs. I have found the way tubes are always 1 3/4" for all Mark Vs and the 10E/10ERs I have seen.

doug45601 wrote:Generally speaking, MK V's manufactured BEFORE 1972 use the 555998. That info came out of the catalog. When I called to order my lift, I was told to order the 555975 because the way tubes on my 1995 MK V was LARGER. That tells me that the MK V's, 1972 and older with tubes: 1.875 bench tubes (less then 2").

I'm sure someone else may have more details and will post... so don't take my word for it.... Just passing along what I learned and my observations..
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
Bruce
Platinum Member

Re: Lift Assist, should I buy it?

Post by Bruce »

I'm installing my PowerPro lift assist today and ran into a little snag in the adjustment procedure. As many know, the cylinder comes fully extended. With the lower assembly pushed left as far as it can go without interfering with the cylinder rod, it is still to long to snap onto the ball. Do I somehow compress the cylinder a little to get it to pop onto the ball? If so, how hard is it to compress and will it just pop back out? See pics.
Attachments
cylinder top end.jpg
cylinder top end.jpg (27.54 KiB) Viewed 2546 times
lower tie bar clearance.jpg
lower tie bar clearance.jpg (22.08 KiB) Viewed 2546 times
Bruce
Platinum Member

Re: Lift Assist, should I buy it?

Post by Bruce »

Never mind. The instructions were backwards, or at least my understanding of them was. All is good now.