Lift Assist, should I buy it?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

doug45601
Gold Member

Lift Assist, should I buy it?

Post by doug45601 »

Just place an order with SS for around 1200.00 and receive a order confirmation email offering 20% off on any single regular price item they have. Thought I had everything but would like to take advantage of the 20% on the Lift Assist but no really sure.

Tried a search to learn more about it but come up vague so here's some concerns I have:

Besides locking onto the way bars and restricting some movement of the headstock by about 2 or 3 inches are there any other problematic issues known?

I'm not yet at the point where I can't lift the MK V into the upright position but as time goes on ... who knows..

Do many of you who use it appreciate it? Comments please
dusty
Platinum Member

Lift Assist

Post by dusty »

I don't know what I would do without the lift assist. I appreciate what it does for me every day. It works exactly as advertised. In fact, be careful if you get one; with the headstock moved right, it will come up on its own.

One other point you need to be aware of is the restriction it imposes on your storage area under the tubes. The lift assist protrudes into that area.

You may feel that you don't need it, today but every time you lift the weight you are moving a tiny step toward needing it. Why work at this if you don't have to.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi Doug,

I spent enough money at a Traveling Academy to reach the level that they gave me one. I have knot installed it yet, as, like you, I do knot feel the need for it...yet. But one of these days I plan on it. There are already some threads and/or posts on these forums that talk extensively about it. There is also a Sawdust Session segment on installing it: http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Archives/SS115/SS115_Lift_Assist.htm
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

Just some thoughts, since I plan to get a lift assist one of these days, I'm only 43, but banged up.
I don't see the lift assist on EBay or Craig's List often so my contention is that the lift assist are on Mark Vs that actually get regular use. The under unit storage would be nice (I dream of an organized life!) but I roll my Mark V in and out of the garage and over three steps frequently enough that the under unit storage would have to stay in the garage.
If a deal were offered for a lift assist, and I had the dough, I'd be on it.;)
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I'm waiting for the torsion rod one to come out. It will not have any limitations for the headstock movement and since it does not project below the way tubes no storage problems.
Ed
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
tom_k/mo
Platinum Member

Post by tom_k/mo »

Ed, I haven't heard anything about a torsion rod designed lift assist... Sounds interesting. Is there any documentation on it anywhere?

Pinkie, I'm in the same shape as you, not that old, but banged up... (56 isn't old any more, is it?) ;) I just received my lift assist kit a week or so ago. I will be installing it today, and I'll let you know how it does for me.
ShopSmith MarkV-520 with Belt Sander, Jointer, Band Saw, Strip Sander, Scroll Saw and Biscuit Jointer SPTs and a DC-3300...
Woodworking Hobbyist (Check out all my Woodworking Plans (http://vbwhiz.isa-geek.net/plans)
Aspiring Sandcarver: Breaking glass one grain at a time.
Black Powder Shooter (love the smell of burning sulfur).
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

Torsion rod lift assist????? Tell us more Ed!
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
doug45601
Gold Member

Post by doug45601 »

Just got off the phone with Dave at SS. Ordered the Lift-Assist for a total out the door price of 163.70,,, That's to say got 20% off, plus state sales tax and free shipping.

I thought it was such a deal, couldn't pass it up.. No back order this time.

Also, prior to ordering, I read this forum so I asked Dave if he knew of any RD for a different type of lift. His answer was "no".

However, if you think about it, a big spring like on a garage door could be something to consider... Would work like a loaded mouse trap!:eek:
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Hi;
I have the lift assist and think that it is one of the better add-ons that SS has ever offered.
I am 68 and can feel some strain in my shoulder when I did not have the assist. If you have a rotator problem or arthritis in your shoulder you should not do without it because the strain in lifting the headstock without it will cause more inflammation and damage.
The drawback with the lift assist is when I turn pens and other small items and the work is at the right hand extreme end of the machine. The restricted movement of the carriage prevents the lathe tool rest from going far enough to the right to prevent the lathe tool from falling off the right hand end of the tool rest. I have to position the tool rest a further distance from the work than I like in order to reach the right hand end of the work and with the tool further away from the turning I get some more chatter.
Grainger has a Morse taper extension which has a #2 Morse male end which goes into the tailstock and a#2 morse socket which will accept the SS live center but it costs $35.00
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

Congrats on getting the deal for the lift assist.

I hadn't heard of the torsion-rod-lift-assist either... Ed! Are you funn'in us?!:D
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D