stuck mitre gauge!

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gloomis
Gold Member

stuck mitre gauge!

Post by gloomis »

My mitre gauge is stuck in my band saw table! I kept having issues with it sliding around while resawing so I guess I over tightened it. I think the nut is stripped now somewhat. Any ideas on how I might get this thing loose? Thanks!
Attachments
PXL_20210423_161017722_copy_756x1008.jpg
PXL_20210423_161017722_copy_756x1008.jpg (156 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
PXL_20210423_161023555_copy_756x1008.jpg
PXL_20210423_161023555_copy_756x1008.jpg (191.81 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
"Like a bull chasing the matador is the man left to his own schemes
Everybody needs someone beside em' shining like a lighthouse from the sea" - Brother, NEEDTOBREATHE
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: stuck mitre gauge!

Post by chapmanruss »

Is the Allen hex stripped to the point that an Allen Wrench will no longer turn it? You could try a new Allen Wrench that is not worn on the end and if that doesn't work maybe a stripped screw extractor like the ones found at the link below.

https://www.grainger.com/product/BOSCH- ... -Set-2LKN9
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Those tapered screws can be pretty sticky. I've found that putting some powdered graphite on the threads helps, but it wouldn't solve your immediate problem. I'd be tempted to try a drop of oil, though.

Is it the threads or the hex-drive socket of the tapered screw that you suspect is stripping? If it's the socket, you might try a 4 mm hex key -- they're just a fuzz larger than 5/32".

Failing that, just how tightly is the miter bar stuck? Can you get the blade of a large flat screwdriver beneath it in the transverse miter slot, and wedge/pry it out?
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

There may not be enough depth to use a screw extractor. The hex socket in the head of my locking screws runs all the way through so make sure your hex wrench is all the way down in the screw until it hits the table (I don't know if they're all like that). If it's too stripped out as then use a slightly larger wrench as already suggested. Hammer it in if you have to. You may as well let some penetrating oil seep into the threads if it will.

I wanted to do the same thing a few days ago, I have a very old green miter gauge with the lock screw. It took quite a while to get the screw to turn at all so I could lock it. Had to clean out the threads to get it to turn far enough in to lock the bar. The lock is really useful if you have an iron bandsaw table without t-slots.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

If you are using the SS standard allen wrench or the T handled one they are too springy to turn a tight screw. I had a problem removing the cap head screws from the wedges that hold the knives in the SS Pro Planer. They would not budge with the long SS T handled wrench. I have a few Apex bit holders and bits. The hex bits are only about 1" long. One of those and a 1/4" ratchet and they came right out with only moderate pressure.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
gloomis
Gold Member

Post by gloomis »

Thank you all for the advice! It looks like the hex part is the part that's stripped. I was able to use a screwdriver to leverage it out of the slot. Now it's gone be a challenge to get the screw out of the mitre gauge I think. Also does anyone know what size screw that is?
Everybody needs someone beside em' shining like a lighthouse from the sea" - Brother, NEEDTOBREATHE
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

That is a special screw with tapered threads. That is why it expands the miter bar when you tighten it. I doubt it is commonly available. Someone here will know.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
gloomis
Gold Member

Post by gloomis »

Well that just figures. Ah well. I still can't get it out of the slot. My screw extractors aren't gaining purchase and it strips every allen wrench I use on it.
stew
Gold Member

Post by stew »

Heat????
gloomis
Gold Member

Post by gloomis »

Heat might work. I don't have a propane torch or anything like that, but I have a heat gun I could try.

I'm the meantime I remembered I was a woodworker and made a temporary (I hope) replacement 😀
Attachments
PXL_20210423_220113199_copy_1008x756.jpg
PXL_20210423_220113199_copy_1008x756.jpg (199.9 KiB) Viewed 1087 times