Rebuilding Mark V, GE 1-1/8 hp motor

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Rebuilding Mark V, GE 1-1/8 hp motor

Post by DLB »

"Inverted External Snap Ring" I think. But Fastenal only has this for 3/4" shaft, which seems weird enough to call them. McMaster-Carr has them. I'm pretty confident a standard external snap ring will work, at least on motors with the washer for the spring. For the older motors with a cap, I'm less sure how it will fit.

- David
eagspoo
Gold Member

Post by eagspoo »

I tried squishing the old one before and after installing and it popped off again. Turns out there is a Fastenal just a few blocks from me. I'm a little worried the edge of the groove itself might be worn down a bit and the stock ring doesn't make contact on the sides, so I'll just take the entire motor in and see if they can find one that fits better, makes contact all the way around.
eagspoo
Gold Member

Post by eagspoo »

I actually ended up waiting for the new snap ring from shopsmith, thinking this was the safest bet but it popped off again. Before putting it back together this time I used a tiny, skinny and sharp file to flatten out the outside edge of the groove on the drive shaft (it was a little rough) because I was worried that was the issue, not the snap ring. It lasted way longer this time to where I actually thought I was in the clear (and was trying out the jigsaw which worked for a beautiful 2 minutes) until the snap ring popped off again.

Even the new snap ring from shopsmith however didn't seem to me to be making much contact around the edges which I think it never does based on it's shape. So maybe I have a little damage to the groove, but maybe getting the snap ring I considered above from fastenal would stay put better? Also am I possibly supposed to secure it with some locktite or another adhesive?

Anyone have any other ideas? I think beyond trying a new snap ring, the only option I can think of is to give up and take it to a motor shop.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

No adhesive or locktite, it is meant to stay in the groove under its own tension. You should be using snap ring pliers and not over-extending the snap ring during installation/removal. I presume yes to both. This style of snap ring does not make full contact inside the groove as you observed from its design, but I would think it would take a fair amount of damage to the groove to cause this.

Maybe post some pictures of everything involved? If you have calipers you could check the groove dimensions. For a 5/8 shaft it should be 0.588" diameter and 0.039" width.

I believe the snap ring should be under some tension when installed, the tips should be slightly spread compared to uninstalled. I don't know this dimension, but I can check one with a feeler gauge if it will help.

Perhaps an expert among us can tell us why the designer would have chosen the "Inverted" style of external snap ring for this application. The way I'm seeing it you have nothing to lose by trying a standard external snap ring. The groove dimensions are the same. The standard ring has much more contact area.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The 'designer' originally was accommodating the small width of the depression in the 'cup'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
eagspoo
Gold Member

Post by eagspoo »

I got a replacement 16mm snap ring off amazon and cleaned up the groove by filing it with running the motor for 30 sec or so. Hasn't popped off yet with a few uses now. Hopefully that is that.