old saw blades

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

StevenAyres
Gold Member

Re: old saw blades

Post by StevenAyres »

chapmanruss wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:59 pmDoes a 10" saw blade actually fit in it on the correct SS 1-1/4" arbor and the same for the correct SS 5/8" arbor?
I've tried 10" Magna blades with the Mark VII cast lower guard. They will clear the guard, but the guard doesn't work as well in picking up chips, with more of them ejected out the front because of the lower clearance. It doesn't feel like it's designed to work that way, but I suppose that's a small detail for a lot of people, so the answer is a qualified yes on that.

Incidentally, that guard also accommodates the 9" cast sanding disc and works pretty well for that.

I can't imagine a 5/8" arbor that could fit a blade into the Mark VII guard. The blade has to be just about even with the end of the drive shaft, there's little outside clearance.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Subject to verification, but my recollection is that the MVII was a 10" at the get go. A feature was the 10" sanding disk used 'in the table'. Not sure that the blade guard was compatible(never seed one myself).

The "2nd" blade slot on a MVII table is longer than the M5.'
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Thanks Steven and JPG for the answers.

For those who may be wondering about the Sanding Disks they mentioned the Mark VII came with a 10" double sided Sanding Disk with the hub side conical. The 9" Sanding Disk was made for the SawSmith Radial Arm Saw.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

JPG wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:17 pm ... my recollection is that the MVII was a 10" at the get go. A feature was the 10" sanding disk used 'in the table'.
(Just as the Mark V is set up for 12" disks, right?)

Was this 10" sanding disc flat steel, or cast? JPG mentions a conical version as well. Does anyone have a useful photo or illustration?

I can't see a cast disc fitting into the VII's main table slot without the dado insert, or the aux slot at all.

My 9" cast disc actually came in the pile with my Mark V, so I don't know its design purpose. It works great on the VII, though.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The 10" Dual Sided Sanding Disk made for the Mark VII is cast aluminum. It is not as thick or "beefy" as the 12" or 9" Sanding disks. It narrows down to less than an 1/8" at the outside edge. The hub side is conical but not as much as the current 12" Conical Sanding Disk. JPG may remember the actual degree. It is shown in the pictures below.

_
hub/conical side
hub/conical side
501223 10 inch Sanding Disk back.jpg (199.53 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
flat/face side
flat/face side
501223 10 inch Sanding Disk face.jpg (201.75 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
_
To be able to use the back/hub side for conical sanding the paper (if installed) on the face/flat side needs to have a hole in the center so the disk can be put on the spindle with the hub out.

The 9" Sanding Disk is a smaller diameter version of the early 12" aluminum Sanding Disk and is shown in the picture below.

_
27101 9 inch Sanding Disk.jpg
27101 9 inch Sanding Disk.jpg (221.12 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
_
Below is the original box for the 9" Sanding Disk. Note it was made for the SawSmith.

_
27101 box.jpg
27101 box.jpg (183.73 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

Interesting!