Table Line Up

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Table Line Up

Post by dusty »

db5 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:34 am Dusty, I discovered this on closer inspection. I wrongly assumed that they were inserted from the bottom because they weren't thread to the top. I had to remove them from the bottom. I didn't have an 18 tpi tap but did have several 18 tpi Allen screws so, with a Dremel I created a tap and with a lot of effort managed to clean out the threads. Putting the set screws back in was still a very tight fit. I haven't a clue as to what caused this.
Do the set screws that have been removed from the miter gauge thread into other locations as they should. If so, assume the set screws are good.

Put a properly sized bolt into the set screw locations on the miter gauge and run the bolt back and forth several times OR MORE BETTER get a tap and re-tap those holes before they get more bunged up.

My miter gauge setscrews have some lock-tite so that they do not move easily.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

db5 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:34 am Dusty, I discovered this on closer inspection. I wrongly assumed that they were inserted from the bottom because they weren't thread to the top. I had to remove them from the bottom. I didn't have an 18 tpi tap but did have several 18 tpi Allen screws so, with a Dremel I created a tap and with a lot of effort managed to clean out the threads. Putting the set screws back in was still a very tight fit. I haven't a clue as to what caused this.
Not sure I understand. Why did you have to remove them from the bottom. Is it obvious that the upper parts of those two holes are larger than the set screw OP and that they are no threaded.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

[attachment=0]20210508_073806.jpg[/attachment

Some times I just don't think. Why was I using main table legs for this setup. No clamping necessary. Just install the adjustable stop collars as shown and go for the alignment. It works great and especially so with two SuperBars. Tweak the stop collars as required to push the table toward the reference plate and tighten the trunnion bolts. After I got the table positioned, I used the quill to push the main table toward the stop collars. This reduces the tendency for the main to shift while securing the trunion bolts.

There has been discussion about some sort of real time pressure to move the main table tight against the stop collars throughout the procedure. This might be advisable if one had to search for the proper setting. I find that no search is required. Just adjust the stop collars slowly pushing first on that side of the table that is too far from the reference plate. Maybe tweak and maybe not.

I know some will say a waste of time and effort. I am pleased and will continue using this method "for table alignment".

Periodic verification of parallelism can be achieved in many other ways.
Attachments
Latest setup for table to blade alignment.  No more tap, tap to move the table.
Latest setup for table to blade alignment. No more tap, tap to move the table.
20210508_073806.jpg (423.42 KiB) Viewed 856 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JohnTKelly
Bronze Member

Post by JohnTKelly »

Dusty!

I tried your stop collar adjustment approach today. I only have one indicator, so I just marked a spot, flipped the disk 180-ish, and moved the indicator over to get measurements from both sides.

It worked brilliantly.

Thank you so much!

JTK
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JohnTKelly wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:14 am Dusty!

I tried your stop collar adjustment approach today. I only have one indicator, so I just marked a spot, flipped the disk 180-ish, and moved the indicator over to get measurements from both sides.

It worked brilliantly.

Thank you so much!

JTK
I am pleased to hear that this worked for you.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty