how do I prevent sheave pulley from rubbing against motor face?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Rfrank1234
Bronze Member

how do I prevent sheave pulley from rubbing against motor face?

Post by Rfrank1234 »

I have a Mark V 500 that has a sheave pulley that rubs/vibrates against its motor face. This mainly happens late in the lower part of the RPM range when the spring is compressed. Is this sheave pulley to motor face rubbing normal or should I be concerned about it? It appears like the spring resonates and pushes the sheave pulley into the motor. Should the spring have a dampener?

Thanks,

Ryan
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: how do I prevent sheave pulley from rubbing against motor face?

Post by JPG »

There is a spacer between the motor bearing inner race and the fan sheave. A known problem is the spacer embeds it self into the soft aluminum sheave. The spacer needs to be replaced. Newer spacers are thicker.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Rfrank1234
Bronze Member

Post by Rfrank1234 »

JPG,

Thanks for the information. Is the spacer commonly available or do I need to order it from Shopsmith?

Thanks,

Ryan
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

There is a work around. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11986

Scroll waaaaay down

Otherwise get a new one from SS
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange