Shaper/Sander Fence Bolts

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Shaper/Sander Fence Bolts

Post by chapmanruss »

Steve,

Mike and JPG haven't jumped in yet so following this part of the thread here is what I learned. There have been 2 versions of the Front Table Extension made. The difference is in the lock. Early Mark 5 tables have a cast on fence rail while later Mark 5 and V tables have a bolt on fence rail like your Mark VII. With the bolt on fence rail the lock part had to be extended to reach behind the bolt on rail. The second version lock has 2 steps and can lock on to both the early cast on fence rail and the bolt on fence rail. Your Front Table Extension is the early version which is what Mike bought and has now made a replacement lock part that is similar and works like the second version of the Front Table Extension.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

Russ, to my knowledge there are 3 versions of the table, see pics. The first pic is the one I had originally thought to be the "greenie" version. It is much more narrow and it is actually used on a 10-ER. The second pic is the actual greenie version I purchased and Steve has as well. The third is the aluminum rail MarkVII version (and I think MarkV-500).

To be honest, the thought never even crossed my mind to modify the front rail as Steve did, which was probably much much easier than creating a new locking mechanism. If I didn't enjoy metal fabrication anyway, it would have been better to just buy another one with the correct lock (now that I know which one). They are on ebay all the time for around $40. I had the aluminum, but bought a 9/16" drill bit, 3/8-18 tap, and my time.

Mike -
Attachments
a.jpg
a.jpg (16.67 KiB) Viewed 523 times
b.jpg
b.jpg (30.14 KiB) Viewed 523 times
c.jpg
c.jpg (14.5 KiB) Viewed 523 times
d.jpg
d.jpg (30.95 KiB) Viewed 523 times
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Mike,

Since the discussion was about Mark series tools I didn't mention the Front Table Extension for the Shopsmith Model 10E and 10ER. Unlike the 2 versions for the Mark series tools I actually have several of the Model 10E/10ER ones.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

Good point Russ, sorry for adding confusion.
Mike
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Mike,

Actually it was good to point out the Model 10 Front Table Extension since someone may see one somewhere and wonder why it was not mentioned. It is only available used and many times Shopsmith items get mislabeled when advertised for sale. Just this morning on ebay I saw items made during the Model 10 era listed as made for a Mark V.
Russ

Mark V 520
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

StevenAyres wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:21 am
chapmanruss wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:19 pmWhich version does the Mark VII use?
I haven't seen an extension made specifically for the MVII, and I'd like to know if one exists. I've modified the rail on mine to take the MV extension.

MVII table extension.jpg
The later(non greenie) version should work unaltered as it came from the mothership. It is possible you have the early greenie version. The MVII rails are identical to the M5/MV.

See previous posts for changing from early to later.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange