Shaper/Sander Fence Bolts

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Shaper/Sander Fence Bolts

Post by chapmanruss »

miken,

Don't say you weren't warned. :D

If the Belt Sander has a manual with it, it will guide you through set up and use. If it does not have a manual with it you can and should buy one from SS or a used one. There are operation instructions in the manual that are very helpful in using the Belt Sander. Belt tracking and how to adjust it is an important part of learning how to use the Belt Sander. There has been little change made to the Belt Sander since it's introduction in 1955. The real difference is the change to eccentric mounting posts and the dust collection port changing from a 1-1/4" port to a 2-1/2" port which is an easy upgrade. I did it on my 1977 Belt Sander. The one below has the 1-1/4" dust port. As with all Shopsmith Manuals a newer manual will have more detailed instructions than older manuals. The January 1989 Manual I have has 38 pages compared to early manuals with only 8 pages.

In the picture below notice the right side frame where it is worn away by the belt because of poor tracking. A costly mistake since to replace the outside frame is currently $56.05 plus shipping not to mention damaging the sanding belt and it's cost. This is a Belt Sander I purchased with a group of Shopsmith SPT's and a Mark V that I restored and resold.

_
Belt Sander Damage.jpg
Belt Sander Damage.jpg (141.52 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
_
Another feature of the Belt Sander is the ability to mount is on either side of the headstock since the drive shaft goes completely through the drive drum. It also allows mounting a drum sander for a multi function sanding station as shown above.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

chapmanruss wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:34 pm miken,
Don't say you weren't warned. :D
Thanks for the great info. I was able to find a 38 page pdf manual and I am thinking this will good to use as I hear not many changes over the years. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what the exhaust port size is, looks small. Below are some screen capture pics of it. I think the red arrow is pointing to the exhaust port? It does not appear to have the damage you mention unless the damage is on the other side? I am hoping it's in decent shape and not missing anything. I asked the seller if the bearings were good, hopefully they are as he stated. I don't mind putting in some time and money to repair it if needed. I like the small sanding drum you have mounted to the side.

It comes with a drive hub, but for some reason I already have one, and a coupler. Maybe at some point in the past my VII had an SPT?

Thanks, Mike -
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (316.99 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (168.02 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
3a.JPG
3a.JPG (249.94 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (142.94 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yours has an adapter attached to the dust port.

Good looking bs.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Mike,

I should have noted that the picture is the back side of the Belt Sander that is showing where the belt wandered off track and ground down the back side of the Outside Frame. As JPG noted the one you are looking at has the original 1-1/4" Dust Port with a 2-1/2" adapter. Before I changed my Belt Sander to the larger 2-1/2" Dust Port I used an adapter like it. The thing I did not like about having the adapter I was using on it was the end would contact the belt inside the dust port. I believe I get better dust collection with the larger port too.

It is common to find extra parts with used Shopsmith Tools. The Hub for the Belt Sander is the one for the 5/8" shaft. Other SPT's have a 1/2" Shaft. There is a cover that normally comes with the Belt Sander to go over the shaft end when not in use like having a sanding drum mounted. I did not see it in the pictures. It is part number 5030049 called the CAP-SHAFT and is $4.95 from SS. The larger Dust Port is available as an upgrade and is 300002 Belt Sander Dust Collection Retro-Fit Kit for $22.85. I think you would find the Dust Collection retro-fit a worth while upgrade.
Last edited by chapmanruss on Sun May 23, 2021 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

Thanks JPG and Chapmanruss, appreciate all the great info. I will look into those SS options. I don't really have any dust collection yet other than my shopvac. But, I am moving in the right direction. The MarkVII is finally in the garage again after many years in the basement. I even made a few cuts. Forgot how terrifying that sound is when you turn the speed up to saw. :eek:

I'm hoping the back side of the belt sander is not badly worn. Will report back when I receive it.
Mike
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Belt Sander I showed is an extreme case of having the belt running off track for an extended period of time to cause that much wear/damage to the back of the Outside Frame. While using the Belt Sander keep an eye out for the belt wandering to the sides and readjust the tracking as needed. It's not a common problem on a properly adjusted Belt Sander just something to watch for.
Russ

Mark V 520
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

chapmanruss wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:41 pm ... belt running off track for an extended period of time to cause that much wear/damage to the back of the Outside Frame.
Curious, for the back to have that much wear, did the front also show the same level of wear?

Mike
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
ricksss96
Silver Member

Post by ricksss96 »

For the OP, you need to take a look at Scott's MyGrowthRings video on the Belt sander posted here:
viewtopic.php?p=283124#p283124
I believe the video is still open for anyone to view. And here's a direct link to youtube: https://youtu.be/Tkd4tXRlGPs
and a couple of other links about the belt sander:
Here's Nick Englers Belt Sander tune-up Sawdust Session: https://youtu.be/91bRVOMEDFg​
Here's the Sawdust Session with the Miter Gauge Belt Sander jig: https://youtu.be/sbdM-bs8j-g

this should make belt tracking setup very clear
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

ricksss96 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:20 pm For the OP, you need to take a look at Scott's MyGrowthRings video on the Belt sander posted here:
viewtopic.php?p=283124#p283124
I believe the video is still open for anyone to view. And here's a direct link to youtube: https://youtu.be/Tkd4tXRlGPs
and a couple of other links about the belt sander:
Here's Nick Englers Belt Sander tune-up Sawdust Session: https://youtu.be/91bRVOMEDFg​
Here's the Sawdust Session with the Miter Gauge Belt Sander jig: https://youtu.be/sbdM-bs8j-g

this should make belt tracking setup very clear
Thanks Rick. I watched Nick Englers video, and will watch the others you suggested.

Appreciate all the great help here,
Mike -
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Mike,

You asked about the damage to the Belt Sander and yes it was only to the back side of the Outside Frame. When looking at the Belt Sander with a sanding belt in place you will notice that the belt sits in between the frames on the back side. The Platen on the front keeps the belt outside the frames. The video does a good job of showing setting up and adjusting the Belt Sander. Thanks to Scott for those helpful videos.
Russ

Mark V 520