Shaper/Sander Fence Bolts

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Shaper/Sander Fence Bolts

Post by chapmanruss »

Mike and JPG,

I have been following your posts back and forth about the Front Table Extension. Although I have restored 4 Mark 5/V's with the original table system (2 greenies, a goldie and an 82 Mark V) I have never had a Front Table Extension for any of them and it is good to know that there is apparently more than one version. From your posts the difference appears to be the attachment lock. I guess it makes sense since the original Mark 5 Main Table had the fence rail cast as part of the Main Table and later Main Tables had a bolt on fence rail. Apparently Shopsmith no longer makes the Front Table Extension.

JPG, is the change in the fence rail the reason for the difference in the versions?

Which version does the Mark VII use?

This kind of information is what I like to see included in my thread "Shopsmith Mark 5 What When and Where."
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

chapmanruss wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:19 pm Which version does the Mark VII use?
Hi Russ, that is the question. I think it is the one with the square block shape at the attachment point, as opposed to the one I inadvertently purchased, aka the Greenie version. :mad:
Hopefully JPG can provide the dimensions to confirm. I only know of two attachment types.

Mike -
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Sorry I have not yet responded. Been off the forum fer almost 2 weeks. I will try to get it done soon(tomorrow???)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chapmanruss wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:19 pm Mike and JPG,

I have been following your posts back and forth about the Front Table Extension. Although I have restored 4 Mark 5/V's with the original table system (2 greenies, a goldie and an 82 Mark V) I have never had a Front Table Extension for any of them and it is good to know that there is apparently more than one version. From your posts the difference appears to be the attachment lock. I guess it makes sense since the original Mark 5 Main Table had the fence rail cast as part of the Main Table and later Main Tables had a bolt on fence rail. Apparently Shopsmith no longer makes the Front Table Extension.

JPG, is the change in the fence rail the reason for the difference in the versions? YES

Which version does the Mark VII use? same as M5(later)/V 500

This kind of information is what I like to see included in my thread "Shopsmith Mark 5 What When and Where."
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

JPG wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:55 am Sorry I have not yet responded. Been off the forum fer almost 2 weeks. I will try to get it done soon(tomorrow???)
Thanks JPG, appreciate it.
Mike
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The distance from the pivot hole to the outer end is 1 3/8"
The first 'flat is 3/8" in from the end.
The second flat is another 1/2" (7/8 overall).
The final flat is 1 1/6 from the end.

Realize these are eyeball measurements.

If you need more holler.

BTW HTH did you get the cam/shaft out?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

JPG wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:47 am BTW HTH did you get the cam/shaft out?
You need to wiggle the spring a bit. The spring is in a groove on the cam. If you center the spring it will come out of that groove and the cam will slide out.

Could you post a few pics looking directly at the side of the attachment piece. I am trying to see if all the flats are parallel to each other, or if one has a slight slope.

Thanks for the dimensions JPG.
Mike
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I believe they are parallel including the non functional long surface.

Will reattempt disassembly and if successful post a pix.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

JPG wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:20 pm I believe they are parallel including the non functional long surface.

Will reattempt disassembly and if successful post a pix.
No worries JPG, I am all set. Don't bother disassembling yours. It can be a pain to get back together.
I used your dimensions, the greenie part, and some wild ass guesses. It came out perfect, mates up precisely with the aluminum rail and works like a charm.

Thanks JPG,
Mike -
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (37.42 KiB) Viewed 834 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (40.08 KiB) Viewed 834 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (34.53 KiB) Viewed 834 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (31.32 KiB) Viewed 834 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (33.54 KiB) Viewed 834 times
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

chapmanruss wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:19 pmWhich version does the Mark VII use?
I haven't seen an extension made specifically for the MVII, and I'd like to know if one exists. I've modified the rail on mine to take the MV extension.

MVII table extension.jpg
MVII table extension.jpg (152.04 KiB) Viewed 816 times