Lower Blade Guard Upgrade Kit

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Thomschuck
Gold Member

Lower Blade Guard Upgrade Kit

Post by Thomschuck »

Fellow Shopsmith Genius’s,
I now have the SS lower blade upgrade kit installed. Yes I ended up using the provided template sawing a small slice off the TieBar Boss. We now have clearance. The strike was caused by the new plastic deflector provided in the kit. >>>>> My question is this... Is it “OK” to have the quill extended a bit with the saw blade on?<<<<<< I usually keep the quill set back tight and locked. Is it proper to extend that out a bit? I use zero tolerance throat plates and I don’t want the blade coming thru my throat plate in a different location. The dual dust collection ports are awsome. It really grabs the dust. I am using the new Rikon small dust collector. It’s an affordable option that tucks nicely under my machine when not in use. About $200.00 for the complete unit plus $78.00 for the Shopsmith retrofit kit.

FYI... If you have a Portaband or even a kid it will make sawing thru the Boss much easier. I have neither but I do have a sore arm. Thank You!
Thom Schuck
Portland, Oregon
Thom Schuck

SS Model 5 500 Completely Restored
SS Bandsaw Completely Restored
SS Jointer Completly Restored
SS Biscuit Cutter
Rikon Low Speed Grinder W/Wolverine jig
Kreg Tool TrackHorse X 2 + Kreg Tool Project Center with 35 Kreg Tool Clamps
11 Systematic Blades of every configuration
Bosch/Mikita handheld power tools plus every hand tool in the book.
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
Permobile Custom RideForward Powerchair
Complete set of registered # NASA X-15 Custom Tools W/Ownership certificate
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Lower Blade Guard Upgrade Kit

Post by DLB »

Thomschuck wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:16 pm >>>>> My question is this... Is it “OK” to have the quill extended a bit with the saw blade on?<<<<<<
Yes. I routinely extend my quill a bit for rip cuts, so if I'm set up as a table saw my quill is almost always extended. In my pre-500 days I found it easier to move the quill for very fine adjustments than to move the old version fence. And the habit stuck. This technique is in PTWFE, so presumably it is okay. There are some trade-offs doing it that way, zero clearance inserts is one and the rubber bumper thing to properly space headstock to carriage is another. I guesstimate on this, but I'd say I extend the quill 1/8 - 3/16" then center the table on the blade as part of my changeover to table saw mode. If you make these fine adjustments with a ZCI already in place it becomes a low clearance insert, but for your purpose it should be fine.

- David
edflorence
Platinum Member

Re: Lower Blade Guard Upgrade Kit

Post by edflorence »

Thomschuck wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:16 pm Fellow Shopsmith Genius’s,
> My question is this... Is it “OK” to have the quill extended a bit with the saw blade on?<<<<<< I usually keep the quill set back tight and locked. Is it proper to extend that out a bit? I use zero tolerance throat plates and I don’t want the blade coming thru my throat plate in a different location.
Thom Schuck
Portland, Oregon
Thom;
Congrats on getting the install done. Glad to hear it worked out so well. As far as extending the quill, it is perfectly OK. In fact, when you tilt the table for a rip bevel, you often have to do it. What I have done is made up a series of ZCI's for commonly used angles, like 22 1/2, 30 and 45. I think I also have one for 13 degrees for beveling panels. I swap out the 0 degree ZCI for one of the angled ones, then slide the carriage over to the headstock and extend the quill so the blade fits the slot in the ZCI and lower the table. Just remember to lock everything back down before flipping the switch.
And, as DLB mentioned, it is often easier to make small adjustments with the quill then with the fence. Perfectly fine. I do try to retract the quill all the way back when I am done for the day...not sure if it really matters, but just something I am in the habit of doing.
Best of luck and enjoy the new guard.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser