Shop Smith not spinning

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

greysquirrel
Bronze Member

Shop Smith not spinning

Post by greysquirrel »

HELP, I just got a shop Smith Mark V I believe it is a 500 by what I have seen during searches. I did not get an owners manual, but did print off a summary owners manual from the Shop Smith site. It is an older unit, I purchased it from a neighbor who bought it used 20 years ago. I plugged it in and it ran fine. Later in the day I tried it again and while the motor came on, but nothing turned, I shut it down immediately. I suspect that someone turned the speed control with the motor not running when I was not in the shop. I tried resetting by turning the sanding disc by hand and the control knob, no dice, the motor turns fine. It appears that the belt is getting pinched in the sheeves Now I am all discombobulated. Is there a way to reset the speed control manually other than spinning the sander.
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Shop Smith not spinning

Post by garys »

If the motor turns but the output shaft of the unit doesn't turn, it is likely related to the belts and pulleys. If the pulleys stick in the open position and the belt is loose, they can't work. Pull the side cover and inspect the belt area to see what is turning and what isn't. It is a simple mechanical device that a visual inspection will tell you a lot.
greysquirrel
Bronze Member

Post by greysquirrel »

I pulled the belt cover and the motor off. the everything seems to spin freely and easily with no belt. when the belt is on it sticks. Can you tell me fi the sheeves are open or closed when set to slow. I am fairly mechanically inclined, and I think that it is a simple adjustment that needs to be made, I just am not sure what the base line is to start from.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

At 'Slow' the idler pulley is 'closed' and the motor pulley is 'open'. Idler pulley = large diameter, motor pulley = small diameter.

WHAT pray tell are you intending to adjust?

Have you lubricated the movable pulley sheaves? Methinks a pulley is not 'closing'.(motor)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

JPG wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:15 pm Have you lubricated the movable pulley sheaves? Methinks a pulley is not 'closing'.(motor)
Seconded. This was the condition of my first Shopsmith.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Since you said you believe you have a Mark V 500 I am guessing you downloaded the 500 summary manual for it. The same one as the link below. Look starting on page 53 under Maintenance to lubricate the sheaves of the motor and idler shaft pulleys. Add a few extra drops of oil than called for at this time. As others have said this is most likely the problem. It may take some time and work to get the sheaves moving properly again if either is stuck. Do NOT force turning the speed control. That will only end up damaging it. With the belt cover off you should see the sheaves of both pulleys keeping the lower belt tight between them as the speed control is turned from low to high and back while the motor is running in a correctly operating Shopsmith. Remember the Idler Shaft pulley is opened and closed by turning the speed control dial. The motor pulley is closed by the spring action pushing it closed and opened by the belt forcing its way further into the pulley as the Idler pulley is closed. If by chance your Mark V is not a 500 maintenance for the headstock is the same as all Mark V models have the same headstock. It is the table system that makes it a 500, 505, 510 or 520.

https://www.shopsmith.com/getting_start ... Manual.pdf
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
greysquirrel
Bronze Member

Post by greysquirrel »

I will give it a try. it did sit for quite a few years without being used before I got it, I am in the process of breaking it down and giving it a thorough cleaning and lubricating it, In response to what I was intending to adjust, I was referring to the speed control. The control wheel doesn't go all the way to the slow point or the fast point. When putting the speed control back in the pully's ended up moving so I was not sure whether this would affect things with the speed control put back in the same position that I pulled it out in. I will let you know if the cleaning and oiling does the trick. the speed control worm gear gets a little stiff at the mid point of the quadrant so I may need to change that. it has some wear on it, but not anything horrible. The last time I tried it the belt was jammed like the sheaves belt had gotten pinched between the sheaves so I am planning on pulling the belt, getting the sheaves set and then re installing the belt.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

You should get the sheaves moving freely before trying to diagnose that. Clean as much as you can with a vacuum and blow it out with compressed air, and use soft brushes too to get rid of old dust and gunk. If the upper sheaves don't have their full range of motion that feeds right back to the speed control. I assume it was demonstrated to you with the speed control set midway or so to get the belt tight enough to make everything spin, and maybe they ran it that way for a while so you may be in need of a belt.

Also, find your serial number here for the age of the machine. It's on the nameplate on the back of the belt cover.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
greysquirrel
Bronze Member

Post by greysquirrel »

Thanks, will do, the bottom sheaves seem to move freely, and the spring works well, but as I said I am planning on doing a thorough cleaning on it
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Be cautious relieving the spring tension on the motor pulley!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange