500 Lower saw guard with sanding disk?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

eagspoo
Gold Member

500 Lower saw guard with sanding disk?

Post by eagspoo »

I was surprised to find my lower saw guard isn't nearly big enough to accommodate the sanding disc. What are people doing here for dust collection? (I also have the dust collector)

Thanks!
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: 500 Lower saw guard with sanding disk?

Post by DLB »

eagspoo wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:30 pm I was surprised to find my lower saw guard isn't nearly big enough to accommodate the sanding disc. What are people doing here for dust collection? (I also have the dust collector)
My solution, probably not what you're looking for, was to upgrade to 520. I was kind of old-school and when I had a 50's Greenie it never occurred to me that dust collection and a 12" sanding disc were compatible. Could you use a 510/520 lower saw guard with the disc set up next to the 500 table? This would not be compatible with the old sanding discs though.

- David
eagspoo
Gold Member

Post by eagspoo »

I could do something like this: viewtopic.php?p=51550 (since I have both aluminum and steel discs). Looks like a pretty simple and useful project.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

That thread includes what I was trying to describe using a 510/520 lower saw guard along with some shop built versions. Looks like both are viable solutions, or at least improvements. Note that it is not steel Vs. Aluminum however, but the length of the arbor. Some steel sanding discs have a short arbor that would not be compatible with the 510/520 lower saw guard. (As far as I know there are no Al sanding discs with long arbors though, these are relatively old compared to the introduction of the 510.)

Note: there is one of these 555167 dust chutes mentioned in that thread currently available on ebay. It is the one that looks like a 510/520 lower guard but without the spring loaded riser portion. https://www.ebay.com/itm/124718134397?h ... Sw-MJgmTix Shopsmith also evidently still offers this part.

- David
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

Steve, from another post mentioned he got a 3d printed lower guard that will take up to 12" sanding disks from someone on the Shopsmith Facebook site. I cant link you that as I don't have a Facebook, but I am going to post his reply below. The pictures don't appear to copy from post to post, so you'll have to go here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25248&start=10
StevenAyres wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:20 pm An idea that hasn't yet been explored in this thread is blade choice for the Mark VII. To use the original system (aluminum guard as pictured below, carriage lock aligning the blade to the table slots), you'll definitely prefer to use the original short arbors and 9" blades by Magna. Those blades come available frequently on Ebay and such for not much money, they're of high quality for their time and sharpen up well. I haven't seen any carbides, but having the standard blades sharpened is inexpensive too.

The second photo is of the same setup (also 9" blade) using a 3D-printed guard I recently purchased through the Facebook Shopsmith User Group. It will take the 12" sanding discs, whether cast aluminum, flat steel or conical, and uses a set of bolt-in spacers to provide for whatever arbor you need. This allows me to use the 10" Magna blades (including carbides) in the Mark VII system. If you like another blade, your sharpening service can probably bore it out for the short arbor.
Mike -
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

I made a chute for use with my Mark V (500). Modeled after my lower saw guard, but larger. Made mostly out of 1/2" plywood and 1/8" masonite. A block on the underside fits between the way tubes to keep it from rotating. Two holes for 2.5" dust collection hoses. In addition to a steel and an aluminum 12" disk, I also use a 8" disc that I made out of 3/4" plywood and is permanently attached to a small lathe faceplate. I keep my coarsest grit (36) on the 8" disc. When I use it, a removable velcro-attached filler strip between the back of the disk and the left side of the chute helps close off the large gap for better suction. Can only get left edge of table close to sanding disks, not have disks come up through table. With two dust collection hoses inserted, it does a pretty good job of catching a lot of the dust.
Attachments
P5140128resized.jpg
P5140128resized.jpg (101.89 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
P5140127resized.jpg
P5140127resized.jpg (95.88 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
P5140122resized.jpg
P5140122resized.jpg (106.15 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
P5140123resized.jpg
P5140123resized.jpg (44.98 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

br549 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:24 am I made a chute for use with my Mark V (500). Modeled after my lower saw guard, but larger. Made mostly out of 1/2" plywood and 1/8" masonite. A block on the underside fits between the way tubes to keep it from rotating. Two holes for 2.5" dust collection hoses. In addition to a steel and an aluminum 12" disk, I also use a 8" disc that I made out of 3/4" plywood and is permanently attached to a small lathe faceplate. I keep my coarsest grit (36) on the 8" disc. When I use it, a removable velcro-attached filler strip between the back of the disk and the left side of the chute helps close off the large gap for better suction. Can only get left edge of table close to sanding disks, not have disks come up through table. With two dust collection hoses inserted, it does a pretty good job of catching a lot of the dust.
I like this approach. I need something like this and the way you have it sit on the way tubes is quite clever.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

eagspoo,

In David's post above he has a link to an ebay sale for the Mark V 500 Disk Sander Dust Chute. It is a stripped down version of the Mark V 510, 505, 520 & Mark 7 Lower Saw Blade Guard. It is the same as the one pictured in the 4th and 5th pictures in the link you gave. It is usable for both steel sanding disk hub lengths but not with the older aluminum sanding disks. A link to the Shopsmith catalog is below.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... tchute.htm

With your aluminum sanding disk you would have to look at some of the other options.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.