610 Jigsaw height

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

eagspoo
Gold Member

610 Jigsaw height

Post by eagspoo »

How tall are the posts that come with the 610 supposed to be? Mine are about 7.5" but then they are not actually tall enough to align with the top/back drive shaft even at the tallest height. I had some other, offset posts in a box I got with my Mark V that are about an inch taller but even they barely reach the tightening handle on the base and only if I pull them down about 1/2 inch inside the bottom of the jigsaw. It all tightens up like this but I don't imagine it is supposed to work this way.

From the photos below you can see the 7.5" post is barely longer than the gap between the base and the drive shaft.

Thanks!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 11.00.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 11.00.18 PM.png (1.77 MiB) Viewed 761 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: 610 Jigsaw height

Post by chapmanruss »

The Jig Saw posts are 8-7/8” long and 6-3/4” to the off set on eccentric posts or the ring for straight posts. It uses the same eccentric posts as the Strip Sander. If in your picture the straight post is the 7-1/2" long one it belongs to the Bandsaw and would use a collar like you have on the eccentric posts to set the height. Originally SPT's had straight posts which changed to eccentric posts later except for the Air Compressors. The Jig Saw was the last SPT to change to eccentric posts. My 1980 Jig Saw has straight mounting posts and my 1984 Jig Saw has eccentric mounting posts.

There are only three lengths for the eccentric mounting posts. The Jointer uses a 3-1/2" mounting post. The Belt Sander, Bandsaw and Scroll Saw all use a 6-1/2" mounting post. The Jig saw and Strip Sander use an 8-7/8" mounting post.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.