Seek replacement AO Smith motor for Mark V 120v 1 1/8Hp

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edweitz
Silver Member

Seek replacement AO Smith motor for Mark V 120v 1 1/8Hp

Post by edweitz »

Hello All,

Can anyone direct me to a used AO Smith motor in good working order?
It is for a Mark V. It is 12q0v 60cy and 1 and 1/8 Hp.

I understand Emerson and General Electric also make a motor for the Mark V.

Ed Weitz
Last edited by edweitz on Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
miken
Gold Member

Re: Seek replacement AO Smith motor

Post by miken »

That my friend appears to be a unicorn. I have been keeping an eye on ebay and craigslist but haven't seen a single one yet. Take it apart and see if it is something you can fix yourself. It could just be the capacitor, or like in my case it was the switch. My motor winding leads were terribly corroded, but I was able to cut them back, replace the wires, and cover them with shrink tubing.

Welcome to the forum,
Mike -
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

edweitz wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:46 am Can anyone direct me to a used AO Smith motor in good working order?
What does it go in to? And if it is a Mark 5/V is it 3/4 HP or 1-1/8 HP? I think the one Mike refers to as a Unicorn is the Mark VII version, those are pretty hard to come by. But if you are looking for a Mark 5/V motor there are several options.

- David
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

DLB wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:00 pm I think the one Mike refers to as a Unicorn is the Mark VII version, those are pretty hard to come by.
Good point, I guess I should have asked him that. I was referring to the MarkVII, C48L2A10, 1 1/8 HP Unicorn specifically. Sorry 'bout that :)
Mike -
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Ed,

First off welcome to the Shopsmith Forum. David asked a good question but not a broad enough one. What model tool are you looking for this A. O. Smith motor for? Do you have a Shopsmith Model 10E or 10ER? Is it for a Mark 5 or even something else? What type of tool you need it for will help in us guiding you to find a replacement and most applications can use a different brand giving you more options.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edweitz
Silver Member

Re: Seek replacement AO Smith motor 1 1/8 HP 120V 60cy Mark V

Post by edweitz »

DLB wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:00 pm
edweitz wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:46 am Can anyone direct me to a used AO Smith motor in good working order?
What does it go in to? And if it is a Mark 5/V is it 3/4 HP or 1-1/8 HP? I think the one Mike refers to as a Unicorn is the Mark VII version, those are pretty hard to come by. But if you are looking for a Mark 5/V motor there are several options.

- David
edweitz
Silver Member

Re: Seek replacement AO Smith motor 1 1/8 HP 120v 60cy Mark V

Post by edweitz »

miken wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:35 pm
DLB wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:00 pm I think the one Mike refers to as a Unicorn is the Mark VII version, those are pretty hard to come by.
Good point, I guess I should have asked him that. I was referring to the MarkVII, C48L2A10, 1 1/8 HP Unicorn specifically. Sorry 'bout that :)
Mike -
edweitz
Silver Member

Post by edweitz »

Thank you for your responses. I seek a motor for a MArk V it has an A O Smith 1 1/8 Hp 120v 60cy that currently mwkes no sound when power applied. Switch seems OK. I'm shy about going to Grainger due to required longer shaft for sheeves.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

edweitz wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:15 pm Thank you for your responses. I seek a motor for a MArk V it has an A O Smith 1 1/8 Hp 120v 60cy that currently mwkes no sound when power applied. Switch seems OK. I'm shy about going to Grainger due to required longer shaft for sheeves.
Not only the longer shaft but the proprietary motor mount. They are only available from SS or used. They show up all the time on eBay.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

edweitz wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:15 pm Thank you for your responses. I seek a motor for a MArk V it has an A O Smith 1 1/8 Hp 120v 60cy that currently mwkes no sound when power applied. Switch seems OK. I'm shy about going to Grainger due to required longer shaft for sheeves.
For the Mark V you are not locked in to the AO Smith. You can use any brand but make sure you get 1-1/8HP unless you know you are okay with less. From observation it appears to me that SS has been using Emerson for a long time. The only variation I've seen in the motors are some differences in how they are wired externally, mostly whether neutral (white wire) goes to the power switch or not. But this is easily changed from either version to either version. As John said these motors are frequently available used on ebay (but watch out for the 3/4HP versions) or are available new from SS.

IIWM I'd remove the motor and take it to a local electric motor shop for an eval first unless you are comfortable with your diagnosis. The shops in my area don't charge anything just to see if it runs. They may charge for determining why it doesn't run.

- David