LATHE SPEEDS?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Thomschuck
Gold Member

LATHE SPEEDS?

Post by Thomschuck »

Fellow Shopsmith Genius’s!
As my Shopsmith skills have improved I am now into turning.I have been asking turners what RPM they run their machines at? I am amazed at the differences I heard or read. Some numbers scared me!. What I would like to know is this.....
What speed or Letter used when doing spindle work? Like...2X2, 6x6 Ash, Maple, exotics?
The same for roughing ? I have had good luck by the feel of the tool. I look at the Shopsmith chart then go from there. So far all my work has been between centers. I am looking for intel!
Thank You,
Thom Schuck,
Portland
Thom Schuck

SS Model 5 500 Completely Restored
SS Bandsaw Completely Restored
SS Jointer Completly Restored
SS Biscuit Cutter
Rikon Low Speed Grinder W/Wolverine jig
Kreg Tool TrackHorse X 2 + Kreg Tool Project Center with 35 Kreg Tool Clamps
11 Systematic Blades of every configuration
Bosch/Mikita handheld power tools plus every hand tool in the book.
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
Permobile Custom RideForward Powerchair
Complete set of registered # NASA X-15 Custom Tools W/Ownership certificate
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: LATHE SPEEDS?

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Not a professional turner but high lathe speeds scare the dickens out of me , JMO for speed I have all ways used the wobble system , if there is any wobble or out of balance slower is better until the piece runs true , if the tool is getting hot than slow down the speed . I dont think there is one certain speed for everything , soft wood will react differently than hard wood . my .02
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

A good maximum speed for beginning turners is to divide the wood blank's diameter into 6000 rpm, e.g. a 6" blank could be turned at 1000 rpm max and a 3" blank at 2000 rpm. This would be for a well balanced blanks.

Here is a link to some safety tips from my local turning club - https://akwoodturners.org/resources/woo ... fety-tips/

Here you can search for wood turning clubs in your area - https://www.woodturner.org/Woodturner/A ... nects.aspx

Mike
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Hi Thom,

I'm not sure which Shopsmith chart you have but all the Shopsmith charts over the years are pretty much the same although the new chart has slower speed that the Power Pro Headstock can go down to. Some charts are very simple while other charts are more detailed. The larger the diameter of the wood the slower the speed. The harder the wood the slower the speed. The speed increases as you go from rounding to shaping to sanding. The current chart has the slowest speed as 400 RPM's and the highest speed as 2255 RPM's. Early charts have just the speed letter as shown on the Speed Dial. On your Mark V the slowest you can go is 700 RPM's and for now you should be okay with that speed limitation. If you decide to get into doing large diameter projects a Speed Reducer may be right for you. It is much cheaper than changing to a Power Pro Headstock and goes even slower, down to 100 RPM's than the Power Pro does at 250 RPM's.

Thom, just take it slow and easy which will have less fatigue on your grip and give you more time turning before you have to take a rest break. I already know you will but I'll say it anyway, have fun making sawdust.

The PDF below is one of the earliest Speed Charts.

_
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

You said it all when you mentioned '"the speed of the tool". I would state that as the feel.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange