Mark V 500 Rip Fence locking mechanism

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gloomis
Gold Member

Mark V 500 Rip Fence locking mechanism

Post by gloomis »

I took a closer look at the tip Fence for my mark V 500 today and was surprised to discover that the non-handle end doesn't look like it locks to the table correctly. It could be just my understanding of how it's supposed to look but Im assuming the L bracket in the photo I've attached should fit around the end of the table, but it doesn't.

Is this how it's supposed to look? Nothing looks bent so if not what should I do?
Attachments
PXL_20210613_210524215_copy_1008x756.jpg
PXL_20210613_210524215_copy_1008x756.jpg (153.89 KiB) Viewed 1055 times
"Like a bull chasing the matador is the man left to his own schemes
Everybody needs someone beside em' shining like a lighthouse from the sea" - Brother, NEEDTOBREATHE
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Mark V 500 Rip Fence locking mechanism

Post by DLB »

On my 'pre-500' Greenie the outfeed end lock goes further than in your pic, but I don't think the contact area is significantly different. The vertical part of the lock piece on mine is more vertical, about parallel with the table edge when locked, but is not in contact with the table. Seems like there was a similar thread not too long ago, maybe an issue with the sequence of the parts on the rod. I'll look for that, in the meantime someone else probably knows.

- David
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

That other thread was this one: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23391&start=20 It has a good bit of detail and may be the issue you are having. The OP's first pic looks similar to yours.

- David
gloomis
Gold Member

Post by gloomis »

Thanks for the link! It does provide some helpful info...but also what seems to me to be conflicting information. In some photos the L bracket sits flat against the end of the table, but in others it doesn't. I'm not sure which position is correct, but I'm starting to think mine may have been a manufacturing defect

My assumption is in large part because I have a hard time believing the intention is for an L bracket to not sit flat around the end of the table. If that was the intention why make it an L shape in the first place?

I took the whole thing apart (including the roll pins) and I'll put it back together tomorrow so I guess I'll find out if there was something amiss in alignment, but considering that photo was taken with everything but the roller pins removed I'm not holding my breath.
Everybody needs someone beside em' shining like a lighthouse from the sea" - Brother, NEEDTOBREATHE
gloomis
Gold Member

Post by gloomis »

I've taken some photos of the fence now that I've had time to play with it. Based on the thread link provided I think either the part or the fence was not made properly. Based on the following two photos, which one looks correct? (I used some alen wrenches of different sizes to hold the part in place)
Attachments
PXL_20210615_011512590_copy_756x1008.jpg
PXL_20210615_011512590_copy_756x1008.jpg (148.02 KiB) Viewed 991 times
PXL_20210615_011642203_copy_756x1008.jpg
PXL_20210615_011642203_copy_756x1008.jpg (140.06 KiB) Viewed 991 times
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

In looking at this more closely I see more difference between the Greenie main table and the 500 main table than I was aware of. The most obvious difference, which I was aware of, is on the front edge. The Greenie front edge is cast as part of the table, where the 500 version appears to be an aluminum extrusion bolted (?) to the front of the table. But the difference I'm noticing for the first time is that the chamfer on the outfeed end of the table appears to be much more pronounced on the Greenie. So, on my Greenie the fence engages the table on the chamfer at both front and rear. It makes engagement of the rear lock only on the chamfer look perfectly normal and as intended. I can't say with certainty that it is correct, but the only part of the "L" that touches the table is the tip of the horizontal part, and it engages right on the table chamfer. When locked, the vertical part of the "L" is roughly 1/8" away from the table on mine. I used it this way for decades and never had an issue with it locking. But, full disclosure, I'm all in on 520 now, and I don't have a true 500 table to look at. Note the Greenie outfeed end chamfer in the first pic from the other thread, I think this is much different from yours: viewtopic.php?p=268087#p268087

- David
gloomis
Gold Member

Post by gloomis »

Yeah mine is from the 80's (I don't recall exactly what year at the moment). It's good to know though that it shouldn't make that much of a difference in the long run. I guess as long as the fence still locks in place I have nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the information and advice!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The "L" shaped clamp is intended to ONLY contact the back edge of the table on the beveled edge. The bevel provides both front to rear clamping and vertical as well pulling the fence down against the table top. The actual dimensions of the bevel is not critical. as long as the rounded surface on the "L" contacts the bevel.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange