505644 Jig Saw blades

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: 505644 Jig Saw blades

Post by chapmanruss »

Unless it has been run dry, no oil, it should be in good working condition. Since you have already watched Scott's videos you now know the weak link of the Jig Saw, the Yoke. That is the most often replaced worn part on the Jig Saw. It can easily be fabricated using a piece of a thick nylon cutting board. Just don't tell your wife why the cutting board is now shorter. :D There have been some 3D printed ones made and sold at online auctions.

Remove the 4 screws of the cap on the upper housing and add a few drops of oil in the cylinder for the leather seal of the air pump to keep it working well.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

chapmanruss wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:30 pm the weak link of the Jig Saw, the Yoke.
Yes, the ebay description and the seller said it was in good working condition, but that is of course open to a wide degree of interpretation. I am assuming if it works at all, the yoke must be intact. I plan to completely disassemble it anyway. I will let you know how it looks.
Mike -
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

miken wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:27 pm
chapmanruss wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:30 pm the weak link of the Jig Saw, the Yoke.
Yes, the ebay description and the seller said it was in good working condition, but that is of course open to a wide degree of interpretation. I am assuming if it works at all, the yoke must be intact. I plan to completely disassemble it anyway. I will let you know how it looks.
Mike -
So the seller had two jig saws for sale under the same listing, and though he said he was sending me the one pictured, I actually received a Magna branded one. I disassembled it to check the yoke and it appears in decent shape. I did notice that this was likely repaired at some time in its life. One of the brass bushings was chipped, and the cam had a couple weld beads to keep it from loostening. Everything seemed tight, no significant play. It also had a "Japan" branded bearing behind the drive coupler which I thought would not have been original. The hardest part of the cleanup was removing the drive coupler that was rusted on pretty good. It doesn't appear to be missing any parts except one spring that is on the tensioning knob that adjusts the top hexagonal down-post. Maybe I can find one somewhere? Anyway, it's all cleaned up, and ready for use. See pics. By the way, it's not actually blue at all, not sure why the picture looks that way.

Thanks, Mike -
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (69.17 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (46.36 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (35.75 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (42.56 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

My mistake, I thought a spring belonged there, but I guess not.

Mike -
Attachments
a.jpg
a.jpg (30.31 KiB) Viewed 1102 times
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

Olson sells blades for the Shopsmith Jig Saw.
https://www.olsonsaw.net/shop/scroll-sa ... -12-packs/
5″ Long Regular Tooth Blades 12-packs
$5.74
12-packs For precise internal and external cutting of irregular shapes and straight cut off applications in all types of sheet materials. Regular Tooth for medium smooth finish. Ideal for use in spring tension scroll saws such as Delta 24in., Powermatic 24in., Sprunger, Shopsmith and imported spring tension scroll saws under various trade names. The .100in. and narrower width blades can also be used in parallel and C-arm scroll saws.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

rlkeeney wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:39 am Olson sells blades for the Shopsmith Jig Saw.
https://www.olsonsaw.net/shop/scroll-sa ... -12-packs/
5″ Long Regular Tooth Blades 12-packs
$5.74
12-packs For precise internal and external cutting of irregular shapes and straight cut off applications in all types of sheet materials. Regular Tooth for medium smooth finish. Ideal for use in spring tension scroll saws such as Delta 24in., Powermatic 24in., Sprunger, Shopsmith and imported spring tension scroll saws under various trade names. The .100in. and narrower width blades can also be used in parallel and C-arm scroll saws.
Thanks, I tried locating some at HD, but couldn't find any at all on the shelves. Probaby order only item. I found a limited supply at Lowes and bought a few to try out. I will be ordering the Olsons you recommend.

Mike -
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Mike,

The chip out of the brass bushing is interesting. Wonder how that could have happened. The drive shaft must have slipped in the flywheel at some point. The spot welds seem to take care of that nicely and does not appear to interfere with the yoke. Something for others to remember if they have the same problem.

If you have any woodworking stores in your area they should have scroll saw blades.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

chapmanruss wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:41 pm Mike,

The chip out of the brass bushing is interesting. Wonder how that could have happened. The drive shaft must have slipped in the flywheel at some point. The spot welds seem to take care of that nicely and does not appear to interfere with the yoke. Something for others to remember if they have the same problem.

If you have any woodworking stores in your area they should have scroll saw blades.
Yes, I have Rockler near me but completely forgot about them.

I did consider grinding the welds down a bit, but they didn't seem to be interfering with the yoke or operation, so I left well enough alone (for now :D ). I didn't consider the bushing damage could have been from the flywheel when it came apart. I thought maybe from driving in replacement bushings, but your idea does make more sense. The bushing does not appear to have a thrust component to it and it is actually recessed a bit. I don't think the brass washer next to the flywheel even contacts it. If it does, it didn't leave any marks on the washer. There was also no signs of wear on the drive shaft, so again, I left it alone.

One thing I don't like is the clicking sound from the coupler when using the spring return upper chuck. Maybe I need a new coupler, or tighter fit? When the spring return part of the stroke kicks in it clicks, then clicks again when the drive part of the stroke starts. I only have one coupler right now and I really don't want to break it. This clicking does not happen in bottom chuck "saber saw" mode only.

Thanks, Mike
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

For us Menards is the place that has blades , we buy pin blades and just cut the end off with a pair of linesman pliers , we use ebay as well . I believe they are in the scroll saw blade isle .we dont use the SS jig saw much since we bought the excalibur scroll saw . the spiral blades are amazing . I still won't give up the SS jig saw , with it you have blade options the scroll saw does not offer . JMO
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

Hobbyman2 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:09 pm For us Menards is the place that has blades , we buy pin blades and just cut the end off with a pair of linesman pliers , we use ebay as well . I believe they are in the scroll saw blade isle .we dont use the SS jig saw much since we bought the excalibur scroll saw . the spiral blades are amazing . I still won't give up the SS jig saw , with it you have blade options the scroll saw does not offer . JMO
No Menards in Maine, but i appreciate the reference.
Thanks, Mike
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper