any one know

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

any one know

Post by Hobbyman2 »

If the motor off of a sawsmith 2000 will work on a MKV ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: any one know

Post by edma194 »

Don't know, don't think it can just pop in. It has a 5/8" shaft to hold a Shopsmith saw arbor, and a brake mechanism on the other end that should be removable, but it doesn't have a long shaft that sheaves could be mounted on.

Can you tell me more about this? I'd be interested in a SawSmith 2000 that's missing the motor.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Short Answer - NO WAY!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Thanks !!

edma194 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:12 pm Don't know, don't think it can just pop in. It has a 5/8" shaft to hold a Shopsmith saw arbor, and a brake mechanism on the other end that should be removable, but it doesn't have a long shaft that sheaves could be mounted on.

Can you tell me more about this? I'd be interested in a SawSmith 2000 that's missing the motor.
-------------
Dont have all the details yet I am going to look at one tonight .
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Hobbyman2 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:42 pm
-------------
Dont have all the details yet I am going to look at one tonight .
There's a limited number of those out there. I'm looking for any parts.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
Tenfingers
Gold Member

Post by Tenfingers »

If only I could find those leg extensions, it would be sold 😂

Thanks for showing me how the mystery shopsmith stuff works, Bill!
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Any time , fingers crossed you find them to .
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Spoke to Todd (Tenfingers) last night about his Sawsmith. Bill (Hobbyman2) had already been to see him and looked at his machine. He sent me this link showing the Sawsmith midway in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7HY-zFd2ks

He has a Sawsmith Pro model. It doesn't use the Excalibur fence and rails, something like the 510 type fence instead, but otherwise was the same as the Ultra model I have. I think Bill might have scooped that up for the low price of $150 except Todd can't find the floating tables it came with. Even without those I would scoop it up myself except it's in Ohio and the shipping just doesn't make sense. I don't need the fence and rails, I really want more tables, and I could use the main table from that as one big floating table and still get a spare motor and other parts for the deal, and eventually if I never find another one for parts I'll have to find a way to work this out.

We got wrapped up in the Sawsmith conversation quickly and I neglected to bring up the DeWalt planer at the beginning of his video. Santa brought me one of those for Christmas and I should start using it soon.

So if anyone else hears of a Sawsmith 2000 for sale I'd love to hear about it.
Ed from Rhode Island

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I told Todd I would love to buy his saw and I was very interested in the tables to go with it , and if he did not find them that there were people here who would also love to have his saw, everything worked and the motor sounded good , I did not notice any issues with the operation and feel it is well worth his asking price , I hope he finds the tables they would make a huge asset to my hobby addiction .
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Where "in Ohio"?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange