Looking for Ideas for Storing Shopsmith Tables?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Looking for Ideas for Storing Shopsmith Tables?

Post by edma194 »

dusty wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:57 am Connector Tubes aka: "table rail tubes"
The tubes attached to the tables on the 510 to hold connector tubes are called 'table tubes' in at least one place. Terminology is more important that the consideration it is sometimes given, it is part of product design. In this case it's not so terribly bad, we manage to explain what we mean more specifically without much trouble. I've seen worse.

The static 'pogo' test is one measure. It's not much harder to perform a dynamic test. The legs must be used on connector tubes to support a table right to the extension legs. Then objects of known weight would be dropped on the table from some fixed height, with some protecting layer of wood on the table of course. The force delivered to the table can be many times the weight of the object, the legs have to me marked to see if they have collapsed any measurable amount. A millimeter of movement is enough to remove the ability of the table to remain level and aligned with the main table, and a table can receive multiple shocks like that over time.

I am simply biased based on experience. I have had trouble with concentric friction locks for years on end with everything from telescoping light poles to 9-track tape drives. I don't trust them any more than James T. Kirk trusts Klingons.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

edma194 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:33 pm I am simply biased based on experience. I have had trouble with concentric friction locks for years on end with everything from telescoping light poles to 9-track tape drives. I don't trust them any more than James T. Kirk trusts Klingons.
+10
Definitely sums up my experience with the Shopsmith telescoping legs. :)
Last edited by RFGuy on Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:57 am Connector Tubes aka: "table rail tubes"
Thank You fer that!

Part of the confusion is created by SS and newly joined users that have little awareness of the old stuff(M5) and do not realize the duplicity of terms.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

We all have connector tubes but

some have table rails while others have table tubes

some of us with table tubes have tubes with studs while others have tubes with holes.

Some have nice neat shops and others have chaos like mine.

We all have Shopsmiths.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Post by larryhrockisland »

dusty wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:08 pm We all have connector tubes but

some have table rails while others have table tubes

some of us with table tubes have tubes with studs while others have tubes with holes.

Some have nice neat shops and others have chaos like mine.

We all have Shopsmiths.
+1 Dusty. I believe I can claim all the above with chaos reigning 90% of the time :). Do you have other posts with more details on the dust collection setup under that leg. Edit: Ah, l found it, I had already subscribed the topic too. What a memory :o
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?