Looking for Ideas for Storing Shopsmith Tables?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Lodgepole
Gold Member

Looking for Ideas for Storing Shopsmith Tables?

Post by Lodgepole »

I am looking for ideas on how to store my Shopsmith tables. This includes the main table, 2 fixed tables and 2 floating tables. Also telescoping legs. Specifically I am looking to hang these items on a wall. No use reinventing the wheel! A sketch with dimensions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any input!
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Looking for Ideas for Storing Shopsmith Tables?

Post by jsburger »

Just copy the one SS sells. Dimensions should be easy to figure out.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... system.htm
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Lodgepole

I store my system components this way.
shopsmith wall 2.jpg
shopsmith wall 2.jpg (44.87 KiB) Viewed 2075 times
Bill V
Lodgepole
Gold Member

Post by Lodgepole »

Thank you both for the ideas.
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg (141.91 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
I made a system nearly identical to the Shopsmith system using a "wheelbarrow" hanging bracket from Ace Hdw.(possibly others source it) I cut the bracket in half to give me the two that I needed and used a piece of 3/4" copper pipe to hang the tables and legs. It's raining now so if I remember later I might could get a picture.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments ... ts/5238118
Last edited by RobertTaylor on Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Here's what I did. It doesn't handle all the pieces you describe, but it does handle the tubes/extension table pieces.
I'm not sure where I got the idea- likely from the SS wall mount. It just used some small scrap 2x4 odds and ends.

wallhang1.jpg
wallhang1.jpg (72.79 KiB) Viewed 1992 times
wallhang2.jpg
wallhang2.jpg (144.17 KiB) Viewed 1992 times

b
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

My tables are stored on the accessory cart I made. On the back of the cart is the table storage which in the picture below currently has 4 floating tables (2 from the Mark 7 and 2 from the Mark V 520) but a main table can be stored in the middle. The wooden hooks hold 4 connector tubes and there is also a table support tube on top of those. The support legs hang on the ends of the steel tube with the tables and a pair of Infeed/Outfeed Extension Table Brackets. The wood brackets are made in a similar pattern as the Shopsmith metal brackets and backed by a 2x4. The knobs for locking the connector tubes in the table rail(s) have to be removed from the table(s) in the middle at the top and are stored above the table(s) in threaded inserts, as seen in the picture. The extension table is stored in holes drilled in the top of the cart backed up underneath by a 2x4 partially drilled through. Two 5" connector tubes are stored in holes going through the top and rest on the inside bottom of the cabinet. I built this cart when I had just a Mark V 520 but now I think I need more table and accessory storage having both the Mark 7 and Mark V 520. If I make a second cart I will likely have a similar table storage on the back.

_
Storage - back.jpg
Storage - back.jpg (167.12 KiB) Viewed 1973 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Lodgepole
Gold Member

Post by Lodgepole »

Thank you all for the ideas. I will be using variations of your ideas. Thanks again!
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Thought there was a more recent thread on this subject but this is the one I found. Here are some pics of my wall storage for all my heavy Shopsmith parts.

The big white thing at the bottom left is my homebrew cut-off saw, it can stay there for now. Still have some space left up there and then some more space to hang up light weight items like saw guards, finger boards, push sticks, etc. Small parts stay in the tool chest, I don't like having them out where they can get disappear like so many other things have over the years. Those are probably not the saw blades that will stay up there, they just happened to have arbors on them.
accessory left.jpg
accessory left.jpg (163.1 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
accessory center.jpg
accessory center.jpg (186.76 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
accessory right.jpg
accessory right.jpg (204.79 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ed,

Looks good, but I have to ask...there are two very beefy tablesaw fences (non-Shopsmith) in the 1st pic. Do you have a standalone tablesaw? If so, why not use it instead of getting longer connector tubes and more extension tables for your Shopsmith?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor