Looking for Ideas for Storing Shopsmith Tables?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Looking for Ideas for Storing Shopsmith Tables?

Post by JPG »

TWO excaliber fences!!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:08 pm TWO excaliber fences!!!!!
Yes, SawSmith 2000.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

RFGuy wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:52 pm Ed,

Looks good, but I have to ask...there are two very beefy tablesaw fences (non-Shopsmith) in the 1st pic. Do you have a standalone tablesaw? If so, why not use it instead of getting longer connector tubes and more extension tables for your Shopsmith?
JPG recognized them, they're Excalibur fences for my Sawsmith 2000 tablesaw (a Shopsmith product). I found a second one for backup, and may keep one with an auxiliary fence attached. The Sawsmith will be used for most tablesaw work but I can still use my 510. I want the longer tubes and all those tables on the 510 mostly for general purpose workspace, essentially a work bench. I'll organize the pieces of a project, do glue-ups, and keep that pile of small tools I manage to get out every time I do something. I've been using my tablesaw for that a lot with a piece of plywood on top to protect the table but then I have to stop and clear everything off to use it. It's time to get those floating tables mounted for that purpose, put the plywood on them, and only use the tablesaw for it's intended purpose.

And that tablesaw is going to get very interesting soon. Stay tuned!
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

edma194 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:20 pm I want the longer tubes and all those tables on the 510 mostly for general purpose workspace, essentially a work bench. I'll organize the pieces of a project, do glue-ups, and keep that pile of small tools I manage to get out every time I do something. I've been using my tablesaw for that a lot with a piece of plywood on top to protect the table but then I have to stop and clear everything off to use it. It's time to get those floating tables mounted for that purpose, put the plywood on them, and only use the tablesaw for it's intended purpose.
Ed,

You can certainly use the 510 with extension tables, connector tubes & telescoping legs as a workbench, but why not build a workbench or assembly table instead? If you go ahead with this, just be careful if want to put significant weight on top of the extension tables connected to the 510. Those telescoping legs can't hold much weight based on my experience, so try to keep the main weight near or on the main table of the 510.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I find it 'amusing' that those adjustable legs cannot support great loads yet they are sold by SS as a table support for mortising.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

RFGuy wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:28 pm Ed,

You can certainly use the 510 with extension tables, connector tubes & telescoping legs as a workbench, but why not build a workbench or assembly table instead? If you go ahead with this, just be careful if want to put significant weight on top of the extension tables connected to the 510. Those telescoping legs can't hold much weight based on my experience, so try to keep the main weight near or on the main table of the 510.
I want to build a woodworkers bench eventually. In my workshop now, with the tools I have and the way I work, this is a good option for me that is very versatile. I have planks and sawhorses and sheets of plywood to make the space for large builds, I'm doing that right now over in the old basement. For the smaller pieces I'm working on now, bandsaw boxes, wood toys, and learning to turn, the floating tables are working out for me so far, but I can only attach two floating tables to an extension table right now and I'm over-flowing that small space. I am definitely not the kind of worker who keeps a clean and organized desk.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

JPG wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:38 pm I find it 'amusing' that those adjustable legs cannot support great loads yet they are sold by SS as a table support for mortising.
Thanks. I forgot I need a place to store the mortising set. Cuz I might need to use it some day? I have my doubts I'll ever use that thing and you've reminded me of another reason why.
Ed from Rhode Island

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

It no doubt does reduce table flexing. I question if it is 'enough'.

Since my 'management' was fond of saying "A cluttered desk is an indication of a cluttered mind".

One cannot help but wonder what an empty desk top is indicative of.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

My mind must be that cluttered type. It does take me time to organize my thoughts but at least my mind is not empty and neither is my desk. :D

JPG,

Thanks for the chuckle today.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

As a young man I learned a valuable lesson from two captains of industry relating their philosophy of desks. One told me a clean and organized desk was the product of a clean and organized mind. Everything was put away where it should be, accessible at a moments notice. The other told me a cluttered desk was the product of a busy and efficient worker. All the most commonly used items are out and available, and putting everything away after each usage was time wasted. I learned the lesson of ignoring blowhard captains of industry unless they were providing something of real value. You know, how some stuff talks and other stuff walks.
Ed from Rhode Island