Inherited machine

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

andyn
Bronze Member

Re: Inherited machine

Post by andyn »

This cord needs to be replaced anyhow as it is rotted and not safe. I will do as you suggested below, thank you!
DLB wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:21 pm The machine looks to be in great shape, congratulations. It looks to me like it still has the two-wire (ungrounded) power cord. IIWM I would switch to a three wire cord and ground the chassis. SS implemented this change a long time ago, the ground is usually attached somewhere on the motor case. For metal chassis equipment a grounded chassis is much safer. The older they get the greater the risk of a short to chassis due to degraded or frayed insulation, an inherently dangerous condition.

- David
ShoptimusPrime
Gold Member

Post by ShoptimusPrime »

Where abouts in the country are you located? Might be able to find local folks who can help you. Also Ace hardware is your go to for screws and nuts.
andyn
Bronze Member

Post by andyn »

ShoptimusPrime wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:46 pm Where abouts in the country are you located? Might be able to find local folks who can help you. Also Ace hardware is your go to for screws and nuts.
I'm in N. Nevada, Lake Tahoe, that would be great! I can already see some screws missing that hold the cover on the headstock, any idea what size type those are? I have not taken it apart yet. Thanks everyone!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

andyn,

I don't recall what size screw holds the Belt Cover on the Headstock. Someone else may know the size. The older Mark 5's had threaded holes for those screws while newer Mark V's use Tinnerman clips. If you still have at least two of the original screws that would be okay. The Belt cover was first held on by 8 screws which changed to 6 screws in 1955 than down to 2 screws in 1957 and has been that way since. When using 2 screws they go in the holes on each side of the headstock as shown by the red circle in the picture below.

_
Goldie - Cover Screw.jpg
Goldie - Cover Screw.jpg (110.59 KiB) Viewed 472 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.