Inherited machine

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

andyn
Bronze Member

Inherited machine

Post by andyn »

Hi Everyone,

I am new here, and have been woodworking for a few years now so new to that too. My mother's uncle passed a couple years back and I was fortunate to inherit his woodworking tools. I am look at restoring or at least putting his MarkV back into good working order. It already is better than I thought considering it was in a barn in Michigan. Everything came apart nicely for my drive back west with it. Can you guys/girls help with the year? The serial Number on the headstock is 261168 which I am not seeing on this chart (https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/serialnumber.htm). The manual says 1956 on the back cover. Here are some pics and I plan on reading through all of your resto/repair threads to get me started. Any info on my SN/year would be helpful, thank you!
PXL_20210703_003127437.MP.jpg
PXL_20210703_003127437.MP.jpg (213.99 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
PXL_20210703_003139199.MP.jpg
PXL_20210703_003139199.MP.jpg (156.78 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
PXL_20210703_003145611.MP.jpg
PXL_20210703_003145611.MP.jpg (213.09 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
PXL_20210703_003157155.MP.jpg
PXL_20210703_003157155.MP.jpg (216.32 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
PXL_20210703_003204504.MP.jpg
PXL_20210703_003204504.MP.jpg (183.32 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
PXL_20210703_003208526.MP.jpg
PXL_20210703_003208526.MP.jpg (176.11 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Inherited machine

Post by JPG »

I am gonna say 1953. It is an "A" headstock which is the earliest. I think the 56 document did not come with it.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

andyn,

First off welcome to the Shopsmith Forum. JPG is close on when it was made. Serial Number 261168 was likely made in March 1954 the same time as the Mark 5 was introduced. The first serial numbers listed are for April 1954 starting with 263051. In the pictures you show a sales brochure dated 1956 but called it a manual. If you do not have the Owner's Manual for it check under the Maintenance and Repair section for Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More by Everett Davis. This will be one of the first three topics. In it you will find a wealth of information on the Shopsmith tools. Some are directly linked there and others are on “My Google Drive” with documents too large to be directly linked. Under 1954+ Mark 5 you will find 3 restored manuals in PDF format and yours will be the first manual. It is linked below.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... SZLh9CHCsv

Everett has become the Shopsmith historian by saving and restoring manuals and other documents.

It will be helpful for you to have the correct Manual which includes the exploded parts drawings and list. There were many changes made to the Mark 5 in those early years especially the Headstock. It is, of course, possible that changes or upgrades have been made to your Mark 5 but we can help you with that. Your Mark 5 has the "A" headstock which has one drawback. There isn't an access point to lubricate the Idler Shaft pulley sheave and Speed Control worm gear without taking the headstock partly apart. The "B" headstock out in late 1955 corrected this.

If you haven't read it yet you may enjoy the following Forum Thread. Shopsmith Mark 5 What When and Where

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24963

Remember we are happy to help. Just ask questions here and add pictures to help explain your questions.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
ShoptimusPrime
Gold Member

Post by ShoptimusPrime »

Heads up, you're missing the way tie bar part number 50426401. It locks the way tubes to the base. I'd advise that you install a new one or find it in a box before you attempt to use your shopsmith
It's a great machine and will be a joy to use . Take your time and learn it inside and out. Harbor freight sells a nice little electronic tach reader if you do a full tear down of the speed control assembly. It's not hard to do and is a great time to clear out any old and compacted sawdust from the worm gear and surrounding parts. I've been getting in the habbit of polishing all of the aluminum parts in the speed control assembly to a mirror finish and then a nice coat/polish of jpw on the contact surfaces. Glides like a dream. I use mother's mag and aluminum polish. Also check out the retrofit idea that replaces the original roll pin on the quadrant. I've done this modification on three machines and about to do it on a fourth. Works great.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ShoptimusPrime wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:58 am Heads up, you're missing the way tie bar part number 50426401. It locks the way tubes to the base. I'd advise that you install a new one or find it in a box before you attempt to use your shopsmith
It's a great machine and will be a joy to use . Take your time and learn it inside and out. Harbor freight sells a nice little electronic tach reader if you do a full tear down of the speed control assembly. It's not hard to do and is a great time to clear out any old and compacted sawdust from the worm gear and surrounding parts. I've been getting in the habbit of polishing all of the aluminum parts in the speed control assembly to a mirror finish and then a nice coat/polish of jpw on the contact surfaces. Glides like a dream. I use mother's mag and aluminum polish. Also check out the retrofit idea that replaces the original roll pin on the quadrant. I've done this modification on three machines and about to do it on a fourth. Works great.
Good Catch!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

ShoptimusPrime, good catch on the way tube tie. I didn't look that close at the pictures originally.

andyn,

Now with a closer look I did notice the Idler Shaft which is the one surrounded by the vent serial number plate seems to be retracted inward indicating the Idler Shaft Bearing is not seated properly in the housing. As I said in my earlier post there were a several changes made to the headstock early on. One was the addition of bearing retainers to help hold the Idler Shaft Bearing properly in the housing. The bearing should be flush with the housing. The clamping bolt didn't seem to be enough to do that and overtightening the clamping bolt will break the mounting. If you go back to Everett's My Google Drive and look at the second or third Mark 5 Manual you can see the A 3274 Bearing Retainers in the exploded parts view. Another change soon made to the headstock was the Drive Sleeve Assembly adding a clutch to it. The original Drive Sleeve Assembly was not clutched and was more prone to breaking the Gilmer Belt.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

The machine looks to be in great shape, congratulations. It looks to me like it still has the two-wire (ungrounded) power cord. IIWM I would switch to a three wire cord and ground the chassis. SS implemented this change a long time ago, the ground is usually attached somewhere on the motor case. For metal chassis equipment a grounded chassis is much safer. The older they get the greater the risk of a short to chassis due to degraded or frayed insulation, an inherently dangerous condition.

- David
andyn
Bronze Member

Post by andyn »

Thanks for all this info Russ! I hadn't had time to look at all the sticky's, appologies for asking questions that were likely in there. I appreciate all your help!
chapmanruss wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:15 pm andyn,

First off welcome to the Shopsmith Forum. JPG is close on when it was made. Serial Number 261168 was likely made in March 1954 the same time as the Mark 5 was introduced. The first serial numbers listed are for April 1954 starting with 263051. In the pictures you show a sales brochure dated 1956 but called it a manual. If you do not have the Owner's Manual for it check under the Maintenance and Repair section for Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More by Everett Davis. This will be one of the first three topics. In it you will find a wealth of information on the Shopsmith tools. Some are directly linked there and others are on “My Google Drive” with documents too large to be directly linked. Under 1954+ Mark 5 you will find 3 restored manuals in PDF format and yours will be the first manual. It is linked below.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... SZLh9CHCsv

Everett has become the Shopsmith historian by saving and restoring manuals and other documents.

It will be helpful for you to have the correct Manual which includes the exploded parts drawings and list. There were many changes made to the Mark 5 in those early years especially the Headstock. It is, of course, possible that changes or upgrades have been made to your Mark 5 but we can help you with that. Your Mark 5 has the "A" headstock which has one drawback. There isn't an access point to lubricate the Idler Shaft pulley sheave and Speed Control worm gear without taking the headstock partly apart. The "B" headstock out in late 1955 corrected this.

If you haven't read it yet you may enjoy the following Forum Thread. Shopsmith Mark 5 What When and Where

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24963

Remember we are happy to help. Just ask questions here and add pictures to help explain your questions.
andyn
Bronze Member

Post by andyn »

Oh, wow thank you! Found an original green one on eBay for $10.... I was trying to decide that the handle and screw were for, now it makes sense!
ShoptimusPrime wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:58 am Heads up, you're missing the way tie bar part number 50426401. It locks the way tubes to the base. I'd advise that you install a new one or find it in a box before you attempt to use your shopsmith
andyn
Bronze Member

Post by andyn »

This sounds a little more intimidating but I'm sure I will get the idea by looking at the documents. Thank you!
chapmanruss wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:43 pm ShoptimusPrime, good catch on the way tube tie. I didn't look that close at the pictures originally.

andyn,

Now with a closer look I did notice the Idler Shaft which is the one surrounded by the vent serial number plate seems to be retracted inward indicating the Idler Shaft Bearing is not seated properly in the housing. As I said in my earlier post there were a several changes made to the headstock early on. One was the addition of bearing retainers to help hold the Idler Shaft Bearing properly in the housing. The bearing should be flush with the housing. The clamping bolt didn't seem to be enough to do that and overtightening the clamping bolt will break the mounting. If you go back to Everett's My Google Drive and look at the second or third Mark 5 Manual you can see the A 3274 Bearing Retainers in the exploded parts view. Another change soon made to the headstock was the Drive Sleeve Assembly adding a clutch to it. The original Drive Sleeve Assembly was not clutched and was more prone to breaking the Gilmer Belt.