Wiring on Emerson 1 1/8hp

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

flyguysr5
Silver Member

Re: Wiring on Emerson 1 1/8hp

Post by flyguysr5 »

Thanks, I can run any checks needed.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yes that helps. Will scope it out later today.

May need a couple of continuity checks on the wires, but hopefully not.

In 3457 Which wires have 3/16" connectors and which have 1/4" connectors. right to left - blu blk whi blu blk?

Did the longer blue and the white wires originally exit the motor and attach to the switch/power cord?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
flyguysr5
Silver Member

Post by flyguysr5 »

One of the blue wires has the narrow spade connecter. It is the one with out a the red cover. I am certain it goes to the only narrow male spade available which is on the motor side of the board. I'm calling the board the piece that has the breaker points embedded in it. The power cable I think attached directly to the motor by just removing the small cover plate revealing the boards 2 1/4" terminals but I cant swear by that. Both wires on the power cable have female spade connectors. My email is janding@mwishop.com if it makes it easier to communicate. Thanks for your help
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

No that makes sense!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Is the white motor lead a male connector?

Are the external power wires both female connectors, or is the non-white one bisexual?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

flyguysr5
Silver Member

Post by flyguysr5 »

Both external power wires are 1/4" Female spade
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I've seen at least three different internal headstock wiring configurations with Emerson motors. It will help clarify which you have if you can post pics of the stripped end of the power cord and switch. On all of those I've seen the external blue wire was switched hot. White was neutral, in some cases switched, in others not.

Some power switches have short leads (pig tails), while others do not. I've only seen this on "C" headstocks. (With removable key rocker type, as opposed to toggle type.) The short leads follow 'standard' color coding, black for hot and white for neutral.

Some original power cords have a short white (neutral) lead for direct connection to a short white lead on the motor. (Unswitched Neutral). More common, I think, the white and black leads on the cord are the same length and both go to the switch. In this case the white wire on the motor is also long enough to reach the switch. (Switched hot and neutral).

Less common: I have a bag o parts that appear to be factory made and evidently came with some replacement part from the MS. The bag contains short black and white jumpers and a long white jumper. I assume that these are intended to enable some factory replacement part to be compatible with multiple (all?) configurations. I don't know what they came with, I got them with a used Mark from around 1989 or 1990. Some combination of these parts could be used with a switch, power cord, or motor replacement from any of the combinations I've seen. Your headstock could have any combination of these jumper wires (unlikely).

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

flyguysr5 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:37 pm Both external power wires are 1/4" Female spade
The white motor lead a female?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Regardless of the blue/white wires, the blue with the 3/16" connector does go on the 3/16" terminal.(internal)

The black motor lead goes on the 1/4" tab upper right in pix 3481.(external)

I believe the white power cord connects directly to the male(?) white motor wire connector.

Still unresolved is the power cord/power switch wire and the other blue motor cord wire.

I am thinking a jumper is also needed here.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:49 pm
flyguysr5 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:37 pm Both external power wires are 1/4" Female spade
The white motor lead a female?
I no longer have the motor but I have a power cord from an 'unswitched neutral' headstock and the short neutral (white) lead on the cord is female spade. Since I know this worked and how it was connected, the white motor lead must have been male. (95% sure.) YMMV. Or there was a jumper. (The short white jumper I mentioned earlier is male on both ends.)

- David