Wiring on Emerson 1 1/8hp

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Wiring on Emerson 1 1/8hp

Post by dusty »

Hope this is of some help. The white wire has a male connector and the blue wire is a female socket. The blue wire is about 12" long and would connect to a blue wire that would be in the cable.

New Motor - Never been opened. Sorry about the blurry photo. Trust me - the blue is a female socket.
20210715_134823.jpg
20210715_134823.jpg (196.8 KiB) Viewed 399 times
20210715_135148.jpg
20210715_135148.jpg (263.8 KiB) Viewed 399 times
20210715_135236.jpg
20210715_135236.jpg (231.19 KiB) Viewed 399 times
Thumb's Up.jpg
Thumb's Up.jpg (11.56 KiB) Viewed 399 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

dusty wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:04 pm Hope this is of some help. The white wire has a male connector and the blue wire is a female socket. The blue wire is about 12" long and would connect to a blue wire that would be in the cable.

New Motor - Never been opened. Sorry about the blurry photo. Trust me - the blue is a female socket.
The blue goes to the switch, I believe. To me that looks like what I'm recalling on an 'unswitched neutral' headstock. The short white wire connects directly to the short white wire in the power cable. The power cable ground (green) is a spade terminal that goes under that brass screw. The blue wire would go directly to the switch, as would the long black wire in the power cable. (Maybe indirectly if the switch is the type with the short 'pig-tail' wires.) Unswitched neutral is the type that I think the OP has. I'm basing that mostly on IMG_3482 that appears to show the short neutral (white) wire on the motor, same as Dusty's.(?)

Dusty - Did your motor happen to come with a bag of jumper wires? In particular, a long (~12") jumper that would make the motor compatible with headstocks/power cables originally wired as switched neutral? Just curious...

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:56 pm
dusty wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:04 pm Hope this is of some help. The white wire has a male connector and the blue wire is a female socket. The blue wire is about 12" long and would connect to a blue wire that would be in the cable.

The blue goes to the switch, I believe. To me that looks like what I'm recalling on an 'unswitched neutral' headstock. The short white wire connects directly to the short white wire in the power cable. The power cable ground (green) is a spade terminal that goes under that brass screw. The blue wire would go directly to the switch, as would the long black wire in the power cable. (Maybe indirectly if the switch is the type with the short 'pig-tail' wires.) Unswitched neutral is the type that I think the OP has. I'm basing that mostly on IMG_3482 that appears to show the short neutral (white) wire on the motor, same as Dusty's.(?)

Dusty - Did your motor happen to come with a bag of jumper wires? In particular, a long (~12") jumper that would make the motor compatible with headstocks/power cables originally wired as switched neutral? Just curious...

- David
No, the motor did not come with what you describe but...a power switch did some time back. If I remember correctly, it provided the ability to eliminate neutral switching.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

JPG wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:58 pm Regardless of the blue/white wires, the blue with the 3/16" connector does go on the 3/16" terminal.(internal side of board)

The black motor lead goes on the 1/4" tab upper right in pix 3481.(external side of board)

I believe the white power cord connects directly to the male(?) white motor wire connector.

Still unresolved is the power cord/power switch wire and the other blue motor cord wire. SEE BELOW

I am thinking a jumper is also needed here.NOPE
The black wire with the insulated terminal connects to the second start capacitor terminal.

IF the two blue wires ARE directly connected internally, then the blue wire connects directly to the power switch. as described above by Dusty and the power cord black wire attaches to the power switch.

i.e. the long blue wire and the white wire exit the motor directly(NO connections inside the motor case).

The power cord green wire connects to the motor case.

P.S. Note the differences between Dusty's new motor label and the OP's(Flyguysr5). No mention of the black wire on Dusty's, nor is there one on the external side of the board.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange