"shopsmith" Mark 2 pulley on motor

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

leeb47
Bronze Member

"shopsmith" Mark 2 pulley on motor

Post by leeb47 »

I have the motor out on the Mark 2, cleaned out most of the 'sawdust' or whatnot. It then got dropped to the floor and chipped a piece off the side of the larger pulley. I have smoothed up the outer edges of where it chipped out and the chip goes almost down to the part where the belt rides.

Does anybody know where I can buy this type of pulley? It consists of 2 pulleys (1 larger and 1 smaller).

Can I change the pulleys out to those for the 10E or 10ER or are they available?

I have not yet tried the mother shop.

Thanks,

Lee
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: "shopsmith" Mark 2 pulley on motor

Post by chapmanruss »

Hi Lee,

First welcome to the Shopsmith Forum.

Sorry to hear you damaged the pulley. Since you have a Mark 2 you already know the pulleys change between the motor and the drive sleeve and which way they face to get the 7 different speeds. I just measured a pair of mine which have a 5/8" bore. The Mark 2 also uses a smaller width belt, a 3L instead of a 4L It is not the same as the Model 10E or 10ER Headstock or Motor Pulley. The Mark 2 was made in the late 1950's to the early 1960's and Shopsmith does not have any parts for it unless it is a part used on the Mark V like the bumper ring on the quill. Parts for the Mark 2 do come up at online sales but not very often. The best option may be to find a new 2 step pulley from a pulley manufacturer as a replacement. You would want a 3L Pulley with a 5/8" bore with a 3" and 4" step. If you cannot find one an option would be replace both pulleys with 4L, 5/8" bore pulleys in a 3"/4" and a 2"/3" set.

I looked at Congress Drives but the closest I could find was a 4L three step 2"/3"/4" with a 5/8" bore pulleys. Using those you would not be able to use the belt cover provided your Mark 2 still has a useable one. No 3L pulleys and the only two step was 2"/3" pulley.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

If you can't find the replacements for the 2 groove step pulleys you can surely find single groove pulleys with the proper diameters. You need to change at least one of the pulleys to change speed anyway, so you can get 2 single groove pulleys and install just the one on the motor shaft needed for a particular speed.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I'm not familiar with these pulleys but it might be possible to have it repaired. If the damage isn't to bad an epoxy might work, or depending on the material they are made of it might be possible to weld and then have it re-machined.

A picture of the damage would help if you could.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Ed has a good idea. It might be easier to find individual pulleys to use. You would just need a 3L 3" pulley and a 3L 4" pulley both with a 5/8" bore. If you cannot find 3L pulleys than you could still substitute 4L pulleys. Than you would need one 2" pulley, one 4" pulley and two 3" Pulleys. That would give you the different pulley combinations for the 7 speeds.

As our other Ed said, depending on the damage it may be able to be repaired.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.