A detective job for Saturday

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: A detective job for Saturday

Post by JPG »

Yeah, that is "more" than my definition of a "rectifier". :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

It seems to me that the original post was looking for suggestions on getting the machine running again. How did we get so lost in stray discussion?

CHECK THE SWITCH.
AEA
Gold Member

Post by AEA »

garys wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:41 am It seems to me that the original post was looking for suggestions on getting the machine running again. How did we get so lost in stray discussion?

CHECK THE SWITCH.
Is that your attempt to "rectify" the thread? :D (someone had to say it)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

:D :D :D :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Now forum members have become "rectifiers" as well....will the re-definition of technical terms ever end?
;)
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

RFGuy wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:33 am Now forum members have become "rectifiers" as well....will the re-definition of technical terms ever end?
;)
Only problem is, some are half wave. :rolleyes: :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:36 am Only problem is, some are half wave. :rolleyes: :D
😂
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:43 pm When I replaced my failed switch, I wired both contacts in series, like Shopsmith used to do. When you open the switch contacts (i.e. turn off the switch), the inductance of the motor windings forces the current to continue arcing across the open contacts, just like the coil in an old-fashioned engine distributor forced an arc across the spark-plug gap. The arc continues until the inductive energy is dissipated, mostly as heat in the contacts themselves. So I figure that with two contacts sharing the energy-dissipation duties, they should last much longer than if using just one contact.

I saw a switch specification the other day that tends to support that theory. It was rated for 1 hp if using just one contact, but for 2 hp if both contacts were wired in series.
I think there's a relevant message hidden here. Or maybe only hidden from me. When I think of Marks using the two sets of switch contacts in series, I'm thinking of Hot and Neutral both being switched. That is the only way I've seen it. It is a fairly easy feature to add to unswitched neutral headstocks, just requires a couple of long-ish jumpers. But it would be much easier to switch the Hot only in series through both sets of switch contacts. Cuz it would only require one short jumper and you don't have to worry about wire routing through the moving mechanical bits. And you'd get the same benefits in terms of increased switch life and performance.(?)

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

What evidence is there that two switches in series (in the hot side) is better? I have my doubts. My machine came with both hot and neutral switched.
The first time I needed a new switch, I installed it with a jumper kit provided with the switch to switch the hot side only. It has worked that way now for many years. It has worked through years of very heavy use (now just Sunday after church).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

New switch installed. Shorty is back!