A detective job for Saturday

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Gene Howe
Platinum Member

A detective job for Saturday

Post by Gene Howe »

While in the midst of a rip cut in 3/8 pine, my MK V up and quit. Just like the switch was turned off. Checked power from the outlet. All good. I suspect a loose wire internally. Hoping a visual inspection reveals the cause because my diagnostic tools are still packed away...in one box or another.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: A detective job for Saturday

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

My money is on the switch itself. Believe it or not, my original one on my 520 failed CLOSED -- which is pretty scary when you think about it.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I suspect a loose wire(or something else loose) also.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:35 pm My money is on the switch itself. Believe it or not, my original one on my 520 failed CLOSED -- which is pretty scary when you think about it.
Yer right, Dennis! Broken terminal on the switch. :)
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Start at the switch. They are prone to failure after enough years of use and on-off cycles. It is easy to check the switch, and it will tell you if the problem is there or farther inside.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Makes me wonder if I should buy a spare switch one of these days to keep on hand just in case. All three of my Mark headstocks are safety switch "C" headstocks.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

chapmanruss wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:42 am Makes me wonder if I should buy a spare switch one of these days to keep on hand just in case. All three of my Mark headstocks are safety switch "C" headstocks.
I have two thoughts on buying the spare. 1) The "C" headstock switch that came in my PowerPro upgrade has a much more solid feel than some of the earlier ones. So my thinking is the current version from SS is excellent. 2) For my shorty I use a non-safety rocker that fits in the same hole. IIRC this is endorsed by Jacob A but I bought a motor-rated rocker switch someone else on the forum found. I like it fine and it is much less expensive. Not a good choice if you use the safety feature.

- David
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

When I replaced my failed switch, I wired both contacts in series, like Shopsmith used to do. When you open the switch contacts (i.e. turn off the switch), the inductance of the motor windings forces the current to continue arcing across the open contacts, just like the coil in an old-fashioned engine distributor forced an arc across the spark-plug gap. The arc continues until the inductive energy is dissipated, mostly as heat in the contacts themselves. So I figure that with two contacts sharing the energy-dissipation duties, they should last much longer than if using just one contact.

I saw a switch specification the other day that tends to support that theory. It was rated for 1 hp if using just one contact, but for 2 hp if both contacts were wired in series.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:43 pm When I replaced my failed switch, I wired both contacts in series, like Shopsmith used to do. When you open the switch contacts (i.e. turn off the switch), the inductance of the motor windings forces the current to continue arcing across the open contacts, just like the coil in an old-fashioned engine distributor forced an arc across the spark-plug gap. The arc continues until the inductive energy is dissipated, mostly as heat in the contacts themselves. So I figure that with two contacts sharing the energy-dissipation duties, they should last much longer than if using just one contact.

I saw a switch specification the other day that tends to support that theory. It was rated for 1 hp if using just one contact, but for 2 hp if both contacts were wired in series.
I believe the coil and spark plug are still in style on relatively modern gasoline engines. ;) I've also read this theory on switched neutral extending the life of the switch. I haven't seen actual test data that proves it but I think it makes sense. I think Shopsmith also went back to it. The headstock I did my PowerPro mod on was wired that way before mod. I'd have to confirm the year, seems like a 2001 model. From the 50th anniversary years, for sure.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Not sure what switching the power pro power on/off effect occurs. Likely less 'kick' than an induction motor.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange