A detective job for Saturday

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: A detective job for Saturday

Post by edma194 »

In normal circumstances when you turn off a PowerPro the motor isn't even running. There must be some energy released from the switching power supply though.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

JPG wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:19 pm Not sure what switching the power pro power on/off effect occurs. Likely less 'kick' than an induction motor.
Having spent my entire career as an Electronics Tech, I've torn down and repaired more electronic/mechanical devices than most people have ever seen the insides of.
I haven't seen a schematic for a PowerPro, but if it is like other electronic devices, the power switch doesn't actually switch the motor on and off like the old Shopsmith mechanical motors. The PowerPro power switch likely simply tells the electronics what needs to be done with a low voltage, low current signal to make the motor run or stop. In this case, the heavy load that was on the power switches of the old Shopsmiths is no longer there. The old mechanical system puts the entire current flow for the motor onto the switch and with time and use, the contacts will arc, burn, and fail.
With the PowerPro, there should be almost no current flow through the power switch to do that. In that case, the switch should no longer be a source of failure very often. Low voltage switching of this type does lend to another problem where there isn't sufficient voltage on them, so occasionally you see intermittent issues due to not having enough voltage to "make the trip" across the contacts, but it should be far less often than on a switch that handles the 120v line.
I don't expect to see switch failures on the PowerPro. The weak link here will be the electronics behind the switch as it has to handle the switching job, and as we see, this is the type of failures the PowerPro is showing up with.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Yes, with electronic motor drives, the switch doesn’t see the motor inductance as a direct load. It’s usually switching the current to a DC power supply, which is a basically a capacitor bank with some sort of rectifier in front of it. So there’s no inductive load on the switch, nor the attendant high-voltage arcing at turnoff.

But … if the power supply has a simple “dumb” (non-power-factor-correcting) rectifier, you can get huge inrush currents into the (discharged) capacitor bank when the power switch closes. (This can also lead to arcing and wear, as switch contacts tend to bounce a bit upon closing). So for a PowerPro, I suspect that it would be better to wire the switch contacts in parallel, so that each one is carrying less current.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

The 'traditional' power switch on the PowerPro is more of an Off/Standby switch, though not labeled as such. It switches both input power lines. PowerPro is dual voltage so neutral is not a given. It turns the power supply, processor, and display on. Compared to a conventional headstock, I rarely turn mine off and frequently leave it on for days at a time. When I was a new user, I turned it off by accident way more often than on purpose. :o Pushbuttons on the control panel, though labeled On/Off, provide a Run/Stop function to apply or remove motor power (via the software and electronics).

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

What pray tell is a "Power-Factor-Correcting rectifier"?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:52 am What pray tell is a "Power-Factor-Correcting rectifier"?
A rectifier, when properly installed, corrects the power factor.

https://www.vishay.com/docs/88868/anpfc.pdf
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

JPG wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:52 am What pray tell is a "Power-Factor-Correcting rectifier"?
It’s basically a rectifier circuit with solid-state switches that allow the designer to control when, within the AC cycle, conduction is allowed. The goal is generally to create a reasonable approximation to a resistive load. I’ve never designed one myself. I’ve simply seen components intended for various circuit topologies, such as the one that Dusty referenced.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I think the term "rectifier" is being used a little loosely here. When I think of a rectifier, I think of a single diode or a diode bridge. In fairness, what is discussed in the application note that Dusty posted is an AC-DC switched mode power supply (SMPS)...more specifically a Boost converter with active power factor correction (PFC). There is 1 rectifier inside this SMPS in the app note. In fact the app note points out that the "rectifier" by itself has a degraded power factor, but this SMPS has active PFC to improve it. Maybe I am nitpicking here though?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Welcome to the new Power Electronics Forum, everyone! :D

RFGuy, as with many things in electrical engineering, I suspect that that terminology usage varies between device manufacturers. But a quick Google search confirmed that the IXYS Semiconductor (for one) does indeed use the term "rectifier" for complete PFC rectifier modules.

In any case, the following application note from IXYS contains a good overview of PFC rectifier topologies, for anyone who is interested (that being probably just JPG :cool: ).

Rectifiers with Power Factor Correction
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:11 pm Welcome to the new Power Electronics Forum, everyone! :D

RFGuy, as with many things in electrical engineering, I suspect that that terminology usage varies between device manufacturers. But a quick Google search confirmed that the IXYS Semiconductor (for one) does indeed use the term "rectifier" for complete PFC rectifier modules.

In any case, the following application note from IXYS contains a good overview of PFC rectifier topologies, for anyone who is interested (that being probably just JPG :cool: ).

Rectifiers with Power Factor Correction
Yeah, sorry to start a new debate...Being an IC guy, I guess I deal more at the component/circuit level than at the board/module level. Looks life "rectifier" can mean many different things. Hearing discussion about a diode (rectifier) having PFC just doesn't make any sense to me, whereas a power management system (any type) having PFC makes perfect sense to me. I was just more questioning the semantics with the word choice, but then again there are always differences in term use even across the same industry. We can now resume today's regularly scheduled program...sorry for the distraction. :)
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor