speed increases on its own

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

thewriteturn
Silver Member

Post by thewriteturn »

Hi folks, I know I've seen this before but can't find it now. I have SS 500 (85), recently noticed the speed slowly increases on its own. Any ideas as to what needs fixing?:confused:

Thanks, Paul
We get old to soon & smart to late.;)
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

With the motor operating, how easy is it to go from slow to fast or does it change speed as you turn the speed control handle? I would guess you have broken or missing spring (#73) or dial spring (#83) in the speed control assembly as a first guess. I have found the retaining loop on the end of the control sheave missing or unhooked from the quadrant. I recommend oiling the floating sheave on the motor shaft and the control sheave on the idler shaft if not done recently. Either of these sheaves sticking could cause this problem. Let us know what you find to correct the problem.
thewriteturn wrote:Hi folks, I know I've seen this before but can't find it now. I have SS 500 (85), recently noticed the speed slowly increases on its own. Any ideas as to what needs fixing?:confused:

Thanks, Paul
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
kartoffelkopf
Gold Member

Post by kartoffelkopf »

I'll second the advice from bill - on my second SS (now my 'mini'), which I purchased as a used machine, the speed changer did the same thing. After driving myself nuts trying to chase down the problem, I eventually took my other machine's speed changer apart to compare. That's when I found that the dial spring was no longer present. I ordered one, installed, and voila! Problem solved immediately.
Kartoffelkopf… because no one expects much from a potato head.

SS 520, Power Station, scroll saw, Pro Planer, DeWalt 746 Table Saw w/ Jointech cabinet maker's system, Jet JJ6CSX jointer, Jet 22-44 Closed Base Drum Sander, Grizzly G0513P Bandsaw, Powermatic PM1300 Dust Collector
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

On My 510 I had to replace a worn quadrant to fix the speed increasing issue. My machine would hold speed at the lower half range, but if set at "P" or above, it would quickly clime up to "Fast".
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
thewriteturn
Silver Member

Post by thewriteturn »

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll try them and let you know what works.
Just to clarify a little, the speed does seem to stay steady at slow speeds, but when I use the tablesaw it wants to speed up slowly not all at once. I've hooked a set of vice grips on the knob at the 6 oclock position and the weight seems to be enough to stop it from increasing. Again thanks.

Paul
thewriteturn
Silver Member

found broken parts

Post by thewriteturn »

Finally got time to check the speed increasing issue on my 500. In all I found 3 parts, the retaining clip, which is broken, a small spring and a roll pin about 5/8 in long, doesn't look broken. I'm calling it a retaining clip but not sure its real name. I have replaced the belts before and remember having to unclip it then recliping it from the (quadrant?) once the belt was replaced. There also was a small spring on it or hooked to it? The rollpin I'm not sure where it goes. Wish you could blowup the parts pictures on the ss site, my eyes are not that bad but its hard to make out what is what. If any one knows what I'm talking about here and knows the part #'s I'd really appreciate it, I can't go long with out eating some saw dust. Thanks for any help you can give and I hope everyone had a good holiday.:)

Paul
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

I am not sure if this is the source of the roll pin and spring....the loop that flips over the end of the quadrant that pulls the control sheave assembly open mounts to a roll pin that goes through the hole in the end of the sheave. It also has a spring that mounts on the loop and rides on the quadrant "leaf spring".
thewriteturn wrote:Finally got time to check the speed increasing issue on my 500. In all I found 3 parts, the retaining clip, which is broken, a small spring and a roll pin about 5/8 in long, doesn't look broken. I'm calling it a retaining clip but not sure its real name. I have replaced the belts before and remember having to unclip it then recliping it from the (quadrant?) once the belt was replaced. There also was a small spring on it or hooked to it? The rollpin I'm not sure where it goes. Wish you could blowup the parts pictures on the ss site, my eyes are not that bad but its hard to make out what is what. If any one knows what I'm talking about here and knows the part #'s I'd really appreciate it, I can't go long with out eating some saw dust. Thanks for any help you can give and I hope everyone had a good holiday.:)

Paul
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
JPG
Platinum Member

Clip/Springs etc.

Post by JPG »

thewriteturn wrote:Finally got time to check the speed increasing issue on my 500. In all I found 3 parts, the retaining clip, which is broken, a small spring and a roll pin about 5/8 in long, doesn't look broken. I'm calling it a retaining clip but not sure its real name. I have replaced the belts before and remember having to unclip it then recliping it from the (quadrant?) once the belt was replaced. There also was a small spring on it or hooked to it? The rollpin I'm not sure where it goes. Wish you could blowup the parts pictures on the ss site, my eyes are not that bad but its hard to make out what is what. If any one knows what I'm talking about here and knows the part #'s I'd really appreciate it, I can't go long with out eating some saw dust. Thanks for any help you can give and I hope everyone had a good holiday.:)

Paul
Broken retaining clip??? Is this possibly the 'retaining loop' Small spring? Is this possibly part of the 'retaining clip'?

The bearing in the end of the control sheave has a small hole into which a rollpin(513734) fits.

The retaining loop(504187) connects between roll pin and slides OVER the end of a leaf spring attached to the quadrant gear(porkchop). Getting the retaining loop OVER the leaf spring requires depressing the leaf spring tight up against the quadrant gear.(ain't easy)

Is it possible that when you replaced the belt(s) that you slipped the retaining loop over the end of the quadrant gear and NOT onto the leaf spring as well????

This could lead to damaged retaining spring.

Replace these two parts. Make sure the parts Bill Mayo indicated are present(73=504196 and 83=504228). 73 applies tension to indicator dial at speeds s to fast. 83 applies tension to control knob at all speeds. Perhaps 83 has lost its 'spring' or is bent or missing or mis assembled.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange