New owner questions

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Filliad
Silver Member

New owner questions

Post by Filliad »

Hello all!

After putting my shopsmith search on hold for a few years, I had one unexpectedly fall into my lap at a great deal a couple weeks back. Naturally, it needs a little work, but does run and hopefully just needs a little TLC. I’ve looked through some of the amazing restoration threads, and while that is something I would love to work towards eventually, right now I would like to just get it running smoothly and rust free. I also want to be especially careful about preventing rust, as I live in a humid area.

Anyways, I have what will likely end up being a barrage of questions that I hope will get a few answers from those much more experienced than I.

1. There seems to be a near cult-like following for Johnson’s Paste Wax, do I put it literally on everything? This leads to…

2. I think I’ve got how I’m going to remove rust, paint, and oxidation on aluminum, will the paste wax protect against rust and oxidation? Or at least until I can get some surfaces painted?

3. Is oxidation on aluminum superficial? To be specific, is it destructive like rust, or mostly just visual?

4. I’ve seen a few recommendations for rust oleum hammered paint, am I correct in assuming any spray paint designed for metal paint will work? (Provided a primer is used first)

5. This last one is a bit embarrassing, but I broke the quill feed lever during transport, and was wondering what the best way to get another was? I’m guessing eBay, but you never know.

That’s it for now I guess, I’ll post a few pics of mine in case you’d like to see.

Thanks for reading,
Filliad

80FD13B8-0B65-487E-9D9B-F82873DDD7CC.jpeg
80FD13B8-0B65-487E-9D9B-F82873DDD7CC.jpeg (896.88 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
6F1999A5-62A5-4541-8940-1C7D374693EA.jpeg
6F1999A5-62A5-4541-8940-1C7D374693EA.jpeg (588.19 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
CADAF0BB-0DAF-4F4D-A27F-D9D9B2FDBF28.jpeg
CADAF0BB-0DAF-4F4D-A27F-D9D9B2FDBF28.jpeg (753.97 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: New owner questions

Post by Hobbyman2 »

my question is what are you going to start on first ? JMO once cleaned and polished paste wax everything that slides , or your wood sill slide on or rub against . post pictures and questions as you go there is a wealth of knowledge here that will keep you working safe .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Filliad,

First off Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum. As you have already found out there is lots of information and help to be found here. To start lets go through your questions and beginning comments. A little TLC and maintenance is a good start. Do you have an Owner's Manual with it? You will find that very helpful. A PDF summary manual is available at the link below.

https://www.shopsmith.com/getting_start ... Manual.pdf

A couple things to note - You have a Mark 5 or V with the original table system AKA Model 500. Mark 5 and Mark V is whether it was made before or after early 1980. The difference between the Mark V Models is the Table System and it related parts. Knowing the age of your Shopsmith can also be helpful. The Serial Number can help identify that. Now lets answer your numbered questions.

1. Johnson's Paste Wax original formula is a good protectant for metal parts and provides lubrication. I don't know if I would call a cult-like following as similar furniture/floor paste waxes will work too. Shopsmith over the years has recommended Johnson's Paste Wax but also more recently others like Minwax which they currently supply in their Help Kit. As Hobbyman2 said
once cleaned and polished paste wax everything that slides , or your wood sill slide on or rub against
which is pretty much true. As I said it lubricates and protects the bare metal parts.

2. The Paste Wax will help protect bare metal.

3. Oxidation on aluminum is more superficial than rust but still not something you want to have and removal is generally easier than rust. On the tables it will impede materials sliding across them. Again paste wax will help materials slide better across the tables.

4. The Hammered Finished Paint was used on the early Mark 5's painted in the Greenie (1954-1960) and Goldie (1960-1963) paint colors. After that time all Mark 5/V's have been painted in Shopsmith Gray. Older Mark 5/V's manufactured prior to 10/01/01 use one formula of gray paint while newer Mark V's manufactured after 10/01/01 use another formula. While the color didn't change, the paint type did. This required a change in the touch-up paint Shopsmith sells for proper adhesion. This is another case where it helps to know when your Mark V and accessories were made provided you are going to use the Shopsmith Gray Touch-up Paint. By the way your Mark V was made prior to the change in the paint formula.

5. Things happen. If it is just the Quill Feed Lever (part number 513017) and/or the Quill Feed Hub (part number 5041739) a new one can be purchased from Shopsmith here on this website or you can look for a used one. See the link below for the parts diagram drawing. The lever is the shaft with the handle on the end (reference # 135) and the Hub (reference # 134) is the part the handle screws into and goes on the end of the Pinion Shaft.

https://www.shopsmith.com/service/heads ... iagram.htm

It look like you have some work ahead but you will end up with some nice tools to use. The Bandsaw on its own power stand is a nice addition and will be ready to use anytime after some cleaning and maintenance. Since it has it's own stand you can use it without having to mount it on the Mark V. There is an online PDF manual available for the Bandsaw at the link below. It is for the newer one with the aluminum table but maintenance and use are primarily the same other than differences in the table.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/manuals/845539.pdf
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Filliad
Silver Member

Post by Filliad »

Thanks for the responses!

To answer Hobbyman, I hadn’t really thought about what to start first, but it is an important question to answer. I guess priority one is going over the headstock and tubes, as those are rather important. Then probably the table saw as that’s what I have been missing the most.

I don’t have the owners manual, but have grabbed an online version. I did look up the serial number when I got it, and if I did it right it should’ve been made in June 1978.

I was joking a bit about the cult like following of Johnson’s paste wax, I had just found it humorous how often it seems to be specifically mentioned. Regardless, thanks for the info about it, I’ll be sure to use it often.

Thanks for letting me know about the different paints, I don’t know if I’ll be sticking with the traditional colors though, as gray isn’t the most exciting paint scheme.

Thanks for the part number, it is just the lever but I was having trouble finding just that part without the whole assembly.

The bandsaw is a nice addition I agree, but the rubber on the wheels is shot so I’ll have to get that replaced before it’s usable, but it shouldn’t be too bad I think.

Thanks again for all the help!

-Filliad
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The reason for reference to "Johnson's ORIGINAL paste wax" is that it is slippery and typical floor waxes today contain an anti-slip additive.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

The other thing that hasn’t been said about Johnson’s Paste Wax is that it doesn’t collect dust and gum things up like oil does. The old instructions for at least some of these machines says to use oil, and most of us who are new to ShopSmith are experienced with just oiling metal parts that rub together, so the idea of using this wax as a lubricant is actually a wonderful discovery.
Last edited by Majones1 on Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

The oxidation on aluminum is similar to the oxidation on steel, we just call the latter rust. It can be just as destructive to aluminum, especially in wet, salty environments where it will turn aluminum to white powder. If you live near the sea coast you may need to do more to protect your aluminum than if you live inland, especially if you get ocean mist where you’re at.
Last edited by Majones1 on Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Filliad
Silver Member

Post by Filliad »

Oh wow, thanks for the clarification on the wax, that makes a lot of sense now. I’ll be sure to make sure I get the right kind now.

I do live near the coast so it’s always humid, but not so much that it’s salty. I’ll still be sure to keep everything protected though, I’m well familiar with rust damage.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Filliad wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:55 am I do live near the coast so it’s always humid, but not so much that it’s salty. I’ll still be sure to keep everything protected though, I’m well familiar with rust damage.
It isn't just salty environments. I live in the desert with a fairly dry shop, far from any ocean. I am the original owner of my 520 for over 2 decades. A few of the aluminum surfaces have started corroding despite it being very dry here and no salt air. Granted it took a loooong time for the corrosion to start given my environment, but still worth protecting them no matter where you live.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

Another thing I forgot about aluminum oxidation, it is more susceptible to the corrosion between dissimilar metals, and especially when salt water is added. On navy ships we often used stainless steel, but it rusted pretty quickly too, for exposed metal on the topside decks we used monel. Anything aluminum, especially with steel nuts and bolts, would need to be perfectly cleaned of all white powder and well protected with either lots of grease or paint, but even then we would have to frequently return to clean it up again. It was a constant battle, and if you didn’t keep up on the preventive maintenance it would all just turn to white dust. In those environments aluminum oxidation is quicker and more destructive than what we see with steel.
Marc Jones