Homemade Speed Reducer

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Homemade Speed Reducer

Post by edma194 »

edma194 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:45 pm
chapmanruss wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:46 pm A metal cutting bandsaw or similar would be a better way to go.
Certainly. But if it were to be done with a Shopsmith bandsaw...
Another option would be to set up the Bandsaw on a separate stand with it's own motor. A 1715 RPM Motor with an 1-1/2" pulley going to an 8" pulley on the Bandsaw will run at 320 RPM's. An intervening step pulley setup could get it lower and could reduce the needed pulley size at the Bandsaw's shaft.
A second reduction stage is definitely needed. I think driving the bandsaw in the range of 50-100RPM should do the job for even hardened steel.

At that point perhaps the speed reducer should be considered. The 700RPM output from the conventional headstock needs at least 10:1 reduction still. The 7:1 result from the speed reducer is feasible though if care is taken. No problem at all if mounted on a PowerPro. I recently acquired a Speed Reducer, have only mounted it to make sure it worked, but did try it at 250RPM to watch it turn oh so slowly. Don't see any reason it can't mount on the left side of the headstock and drive a bandsaw with a carbide blade to cut steel. I still can't see why though, the feed rates will be incredibly slow and there are so many other ways to cut that metal.
Last edited by edma194 on Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

chapmanruss wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:46 pm A metal cutting bandsaw or similar would be a better way to go.
Certainly. But if it were to be done with a Shopsmith bandsaw...
Another option would be to set up the Bandsaw on a separate stand with it's own motor. A 1715 RPM Motor with an 1-1/2" pulley going to an 8" pulley on the Bandsaw will run at 320 RPM's. An intervening step pulley setup could get it lower and could reduce the needed pulley size at the Bandsaw's shaft.
A second reduction stage is definitely needed. I think driving the bandsaw in the range of 50-100RPM should do the job for even hardened steel.

At that point perhaps the speed reducer should be considered. The 700RPM output from the conventional headstock needs at least 10:1 reduction still. The 7:1 result from the speed reducer is feasible though if care is taken. No problem at all if mounted on a PowerPro. I recently acquired a Speed Reducer, have only mounted it to make sure it worked, but did try it at 250RPM to watch it turn oh so slowly. Don't see any reason it can't mount on the left side of the headstock and drive a bandsaw with a carbide blade to cut steel. I still can't see why though, the feed rates will be incredibly slow and there are so many other ways to cut that metal.
Last edited by edma194 on Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

Adapting the Shopsmith Bandsaw seems to be a challenge. I wonder if the Speed Reducer can be made to work. That is an accessory I have not had. Can the Speed Reducer be connected to the Drive Sleeve shaft since the bandsaw needs to run in the correct direction? A reversing Headstock like the Power Pro or old Mark VII can reverse allowing the Speed Reducer to be mounted in it's normal position off the Quill. Second, can the Speed Reducer be run in the reverse direction? If not, neither mounting option will work. The Speed Reducer is a 7:1 reduction so it could go down to about 35 RPM's on the Power Pro Headstock as edma194 said.

I do have a reversing Mark VII, but I have basically given up on the speed reducer idea to cut metal. I acquired a nice Shopsmith bandsaw when I bought a backup Mark VII and wanted to find a reason to use it/keep it. I already have a stand-alone bandsaw. Anyway, it doesn't make sense when a Harbor Freight porta-saw can be had for $129 and that is really the tool meant for the job, variable speed, etc. I will likely buy a bi-metal blade and run it at the minimum Mark VII 700 rpm just to see.
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Ed,

I don't mean to be picky but the low end of the speed range of the conventional headstock is 700 RPM. I'm sure 500 RPM was an oops. I have needed correcting before and will likely need it again. I know we like to have good information here.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

chapmanruss wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:41 pm Ed,

I don't mean to be picky but the low end of the speed range of the conventional headstock is 700 RPM. I'm sure 500 RPM was an oops. I have needed correcting before and will likely need it again. I know we like to have good information here.
Quite right. I edited all three copies of the post while wondering how I got three of them and I think maybe I've hit the quote button instead of the edit button to make changes. And of course missing that one big mistake even after editing. Do not feel bad about pointing out my mistakes, the record has to be kept straight.
Ed from Rhode Island