Repair service

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Repair service

Post by edma194 »

RFGuy wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:24 am I don't know how many there are. Jacob's website is still up so is he still selling parts or is he fully retired now? I know of at least one other guy that supposedly does Shopsmith repair in NC. His website is linked below:

https://shopsmithrepair.com/
The website for Jacob's Shopsmith Repair now indicates he is fully retired as of Sept. 13th, 2021 and no longer selling parts. I have viewed some of his videos and other information in the past and apparently they will remain available. I'm sure we all wish him well in retirement.
RETIRED!
I am retired completely now, having closed my parts store.

I have been self employed for 20 years, servicing Shopsmith Mark V headstocks (over 1,800 repairs), selling parts and videos on ebay and thru my own web store (over 8,000 sales between them).

I thank you for your patronage.

This site hosts links to my videos, archival information, etc to help you troubleshoot, repair and maintain your Shopsmith Mark V.

Sept 13, 2021
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

edma194 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:03 pm The website for Jacob's Shopsmith Repair now indicates he is fully retired as of Sept. 13th, 2021 and no longer selling parts. I have viewed some of his videos and other information in the past and apparently they will remain available. I'm sure we all wish him well in retirement.
Well that sucks. I mean good for him that he is retired, but I actually preferred the size and quality of belts I received from him over what the mothership sells.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

RFGuy wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:16 pm
edma194 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:03 pm The website for Jacob's Shopsmith Repair now indicates he is fully retired as of Sept. 13th, 2021 and no longer selling parts. I have viewed some of his videos and other information in the past and apparently they will remain available. I'm sure we all wish him well in retirement.
Well that sucks. I mean good for him that he is retired, but I actually preferred the size and quality of belts I received from him over what the mothership sells.
I think he sold a standard metric size belt. I don't have one and don't know the size. IIRC it was slightly long and somewhat beefier than the SS V-belt, and was close in terms of actual RPM Vs. expected. Brand and size may both be on yours.(?)

- David
Wick1
Bronze Member

Post by Wick1 »

I was surpised to find a Pirelli belt on my 510 - being Italian, it will almost certainly be metric. Sorry, I don’t know the size.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Wick1 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:51 am I was surpised to find a Pirelli belt on my 510 - being Italian, it will almost certainly be metric. Sorry, I don’t know the size.
Well did Pirelli also print a part# in addition to it's name?

or something like 12 x 65?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Serial289988
Bronze Member

Post by Serial289988 »

edma194 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:18 am

DIY is an option for almost anyone. The repairs on a Shopsmith headstock could easily appear daunting to someone without relevant experience and the knowledge base available on this board. However, IMHO if you can set up, align, an use a Shopsmith then you can also repair it with the help provided here. I managed a few repairs with only the standard info Shopsmith can provide before I even came to this board.

I needed to hear that this morning as I have been binge-watching headstock rebuild videos for the last 48 hours and my anxiety levels have crept skyward.

I found this group today and started downloading pdf's of a bunch of stuff that will come in handy in the future, so thanks everyone for that!