Repair service

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kgfaro
Gold Member

Repair service

Post by kgfaro »

I hope this it's not off topic. But how many outside repair services do you guys know of. I know Jacob has retired. And there's a authorized one. But who else?
Sorry if I ask to many questions but I like knowledge and want to learn
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Repair service

Post by RFGuy »

I don't know how many there are. Jacob's website is still up so is he still selling parts or is he fully retired now? I know of at least one other guy that supposedly does Shopsmith repair in NC. His website is linked below:

https://shopsmithrepair.com/
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
kgfaro
Gold Member

Post by kgfaro »

I've seen that guy he's o.j. YouTube James Hopp. He's factory authorized Theres another guy Alex who does it to guess that's it?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I believe James Hopp "WAS" an authorized repair service. I do not think SS is currently supporting any authorized
service.

And "battles"(?) hardware somewhere in CA.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

MKC Tools offers Shopsmith repair services. I do not know anything about them.

http://www.mkctools.com/repair%20service.htm
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

More so an up grader than a repairer. i.e. a machinist.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

If you can't drive to a repair shop with your headstock you'll have to add the cost of shipping to the parts and labor involved. That cost can be significant because headstocks are heavy.

DIY is an option for almost anyone. The repairs on a Shopsmith headstock could easily appear daunting to someone without relevant experience and the knowledge base available on this board. However, IMHO if you can set up, align, an use a Shopsmith then you can also repair it with the help provided here. I managed a few repairs with only the standard info Shopsmith can provide before I even came to this board.

In the worst cases of speed controller and/or motor damage you can often obtain a used headstock for the same kind of repair costs you'd face. And that used headstock would often be part of an entire used Shopsmith giving you an abundance of extra parts.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Battles Hardware in California has closed.

Skip Campbell at MKC Tools has parts for sale, some of which he has machined to replace OEM parts. He also did restorations mostly on Model 10's.

The only Authorized Service Center I know of is Shopsmith itself.

As Ed said you can do your own repairs. I agree it can be daunting at first. I felt that way the first time I took apart a Mark 5 headstock for a restoration but don't let it scare you. As you open it up study it to see how thing work. Compare parts in the headstock to the exploded parts diagram in the Manuals, supplements or online. See how the power goes from the motor to the quill and what makes the speed change. How the quill moves in and out of the headstock while still turning. Understanding how it all works will help when working on the headstock. Take plenty of pictures as you take it apart to help in reassembling it. Note anything that seems out of place. Example, loose parts in the bottom of the headstock. Lastly know we are always happy to help.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

Alex did a repair for me a few years ago and his work was flawless. Right now, he has a two month backlog according to his site.

https://505smithrepair.com
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

I've visited James around Dec 2020. Pulled and pressed some bearings for me .
He still had his services running at that time.

b