Power Station Belt Removal

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Gio800
Gold Member

Power Station Belt Removal

Post by Gio800 »

I see lots of posts on how to tension the belts on the Power Station but I don't see anything on how to removed/replace the belts. Anybody have some tips or procedure they can share?

Thank you, Tom
1982 Mark V 500 w/2 bandsaws(cast iron and aluminum table), power station, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw and lathe duplicator.
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: Power Station Belt Removal

Post by rpd »

Full disclosure, I don't own a Power Station, and have never seen one in person. :)

I see that belt changing isn't actually covered in the manual for some odd reason? (if you don't have a manual, you can download one from this link www.lhdigest.com/SS/MANUALS/OTHER%20TOO ... MANUAL.pdf )

The speed control variator works on the same principal as the (optional) speed control for the 10ER, which I do have.

On the 10er speed changer there is a knob that retains the Variator pulleys on the shaft so they can be pulled off for changing belts, or the belt can be walked off the large pulley (could be on m
I don't see in the exploded parts diagram what holds the Variator (59) on to the Rack and Shaft assembly (53).

I would try releasing the tension at the motor, walk the motor belt off the pulley, that will release the tension on the upper belt.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

rpd wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:59 am Full disclosure, I don't own a Power Station, and have never seen one in person. :)

I see that belt changing isn't actually covered in the manual for some odd reason? (if you don't have a manual, you can download one from this link www.lhdigest.com/SS/MANUALS/OTHER%20TOO ... MANUAL.pdf )

The speed control variator works on the same principal as the (optional) speed control for the 10ER, which I do have.

On the 10er speed changer there is a knob that retains the Variator pulleys on the shaft so they can be pulled off for changing belts, or the belt can be walked off the large pulley (could be on m
I don't see in the exploded parts diagram what holds the Variator (59) on to the Rack and Shaft assembly (53).

Belt tension is the only thing that holds the variator on the shaft on mine.

I would try releasing the tension at the motor, walk the motor belt off the pulley, that will release the tension on the upper belt.

That's how I've done it. Basically loosen the four nuts above the motor mount to allow the motor to lift up, releasing tension. The nuts at the pulley end need to be loosened quite a bit to allow the motor to tilt enough to slip the belt off.
My copy of the manual says no lubrication is required, but I don't agree. While you have it apart consider lubricating the motor bearings (not a ball bearing motor, I reckon) and the variator shaft. I don't have specific recommendations for lubes, maybe in another thread.(?)

- David
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I haven't gone through the process yet but it's not far down on the list. You can start with the lower drive belt coming off the motor. You may be able to loosen the bolts holding the motor enough to get the belt off the pulley. Otherwise, or in combination with that you can remove the motor pulley which is held on the motor shaft with a set screw. Once the lower belt is off you can raise the variator and slip off the upper belt. The bolts holding the motor on tension the lower belt. I have no specific info about tensioning, it will have to be adjusted by turning it on and making sure both belts are reasonably tensioned at both ends of the speed range.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER