Refurbishing a MkV 510

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

John4337
Gold Member

Re: Refurbishing a MkV 510

Post by John4337 »

Majones1 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:00 pm
John4337 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:51 pm Thanks all, traced it to the flat spring under the speed handle, guess it was rubbing on the back of the handle. I put some wax on it and it got better. Probably couldn't hear it with the motor running anyway
My speed control was very difficult to turn after I lubed and put everything back together, so I decided to wax the back of that handle plate, and it made it much easier to turn. The only problem was that when I got the speed up to R the speed control continued to turn and accelerate on its own. I had to remove the wax.
Thanks, I’ll watch for that.
John4337
Gold Member

Post by John4337 »

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Speed response seems a bit sporadic?

All that noise is typical.

Range appears restricted, did you do a high speed adjustment?(sets max fast)(sheave travel limits slow speed 'min")
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
John4337
Gold Member

Post by John4337 »

JPG wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:20 pm Speed response seems a bit sporadic?

All that noise is typical.

Range appears restricted, did you do a high speed adjustment?(sets max fast)(sheave travel limits slow speed 'min")
I haven't done any adjustments, just got it back on the tubes and was happy it ran. I'm looking on the forum now for adjustment procedures
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Starts at about 9 min in.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... hanger.htm

Take the nut/screw flush comment with a grain of salt! Nuts thickness etc. have varied over the years.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
John4337
Gold Member

Post by John4337 »

JPG wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:47 pm Starts at about 9 min in.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... hanger.htm

Take the nut/screw flush comment with a grain of salt! Nuts thickness etc. have varied over the years.
Thanks very much!!
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

John4337 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:08 pm Well, it runs....
Excellent! Do be careful about exceeding max speed of attachments. IIRC the sanding disc max is ~ 2000 RPM.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The steel disk inertia may be responsible for the sporadic response.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

John4337
Gold Member

Post by John4337 »

It continues to go back together. I've run into an issue with the fence, its hanging in the same spot to the right of the blade opening. I thought it might be the tube, so I swapped them front to back, but it still hangs. Its not hitting the table, so I'm stumped. I've linked a short video of the problem.

https://youtu.be/fRtcX3qckUc
Tube.jpg
Tube.jpg (293.12 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
fence.jpg
fence.jpg (340.95 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
Any thoughts are appreciated.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

It appears to be hanging up near/over the miter gauge slot.

For starters, I would back out that confounded fence biasing screw until the inner end is flush. It appears in the upper left part of the 'head' in your second pix.

I noted it bound more when you first pushed it towards the blade slot. Pushing that direction causes the fence 'head' leading end to cock towards the tube.

The tubes may have greater c-c spacing at the hang point but that would imply insufficient rear clamp clearance.

I really think that setscrew is de culprit.

P.S. Another look revealed scratch marks on the head casting on opposite sides of the setscrew. The screw may have scored the tube when sliding off the end. Look for a burr on the ends of both tubes.

BTW glad that setscrew IS a flat point as it should be.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝