Refurbishing a MkV 510

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

John4337
Gold Member

Re: Refurbishing a MkV 510

Post by John4337 »

JPG wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:23 pmDried out.
Ugh, whats the best way to remove them?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
John4337
Gold Member

Post by John4337 »

JPG wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:12 pm https://www.harborfreight.com/bearing-s ... 62593.html

Take a 20% off coupon.
Always a good day to get another tool...
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I think that replacing ALL the ball bearings is a prudent move. Get rubber sealed ones.

Including the motor bearings, that is only 6 bearings(5 if single bearing quill). I am ignoring bearings on the idler shaft.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
John4337
Gold Member

Post by John4337 »

JPG wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:51 pm I think that replacing ALL the ball bearings is a prudent move. Get rubber sealed ones.

Including the motor bearings, that is only 6 bearings(5 if single bearing quill). I am ignoring bearings on the idler shaft.
Are the ones from Shopsmith rubber sealed, or should I look elsewhere?
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

John4337 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:32 pm
JPG wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:51 pm I think that replacing ALL the ball bearings is a prudent move. Get rubber sealed ones.

Shopsmith doesn't usually sell individual bearings, so elsewhere. They prefer to sell assemblies, so it'd be a motor, upper drive, and quill. (Relatively expensive approach, and likely to include at least some shielded bearings rather than sealed.) Generally you'll find a generic bearing number, then look for '2RS' or 'RS' as a suffix, indicating rubber sealed. Most of our bearings are either 'ZZ' (shielded) or 'RS' (sealed). Several folks sell headstock bearing sets, those may or may not be sealed. You'd generally need to know motor brand and which version quill you have to get the right set. IIWM I'd buy them individually so you can be sure you're getting sealed bearings.

- David
John4337
Gold Member

Post by John4337 »

DLB wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:12 pm
John4337 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:32 pm

Shopsmith doesn't usually sell individual bearings, so elsewhere. They prefer to sell assemblies, so it'd be a motor, upper drive, and quill. (Relatively expensive approach, and likely to include at least some shielded bearings rather than sealed.) Generally you'll find a generic bearing number, then look for '2RS' or 'RS' as a suffix, indicating rubber sealed. Most of our bearings are either 'ZZ' (shielded) or 'RS' (sealed). Several folks sell headstock bearing sets, those may or may not be sealed. You'd generally need to know motor brand and which version quill you have to get the right set. IIWM I'd buy them individually so you can be sure you're getting sealed bearings.

- David
Thanks, I’ll start looking.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

DRIVE SLEEVE 6205.. 25 X52 X 15 mm two
QUILL 6202-10.. 5/8" x 35 x 11 mm one
MOTOR (GE)* 6203.. 17 x 40 x 12 mm two*

Two bearing quills are different - more than one variety
*Emerson motor has one bearing that has a 5/8" id requires one each

Different mfrs may have different part # - dimensions are more sure way of specifying them
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

John4337
Gold Member

Post by John4337 »

Thanks, much appreciated.

I also found this on the Shopsmith Troubleshooting and Tip FB page.

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Shopsm ... rvBjv3o0sg

The file is too large to post here, but lots of info.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

John4337 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:05 pm Thanks, much appreciated.

I also found this on the Shopsmith Troubleshooting and Tip FB page.

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Shopsm ... rvBjv3o0sg

The file is too large to post here, but lots of info.
If you look at the top of this forum there is a thread that is pined to the top. It is the second one. It is called "Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More". That is where the document in your link came from. There is much more there. Everett is our document restorer and SS historian.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT