Old saw table on newer carriage?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Old saw table on newer carriage?

Post by edma194 »

Which side is your handle on? As a drill press mine is on the right side and has full clearance unless the fence is on. The table does not get in the way.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

This thread is about the table and carriage.

The comment was regarding the 'wheel' on the newer carriages not being much of an advantage over the older lever.

My comment was to the effect that the wheel does not have the occasional need to relocate the lever so it does not interfere with the table.

So the lever in question is the one that moves the table in/out(in drill press mode).

I went back and reread my post that has possibly created this confusion. I said quill shaft. I should have said table elevation shaft. Sorry about that!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

We're just off in different directions. In his OP he talks about dedicating this machine as a drill press and bandsaw. So if he's just using the table for a drill press he can move the handle to the other side of the carriage and avoid clearance issues.

Also, the wheel can be put on a Model 500 carriage but has some clearance problems. Don't know if those problems exist in drill press mode though. I think they won't if the handle is on the right hand side of the table.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

For the table elevation handle, there is NO other side.

We not be off in different directions, we be on different shafts.

The round crank handle is on the table elevation shaft.

Rotating the table elevation shaft moves the table in/out in drill press mode.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

handle 1.jpg
handle 1.jpg (37.35 KiB) Viewed 690 times
handle 2.jpg
handle 2.jpg (53.93 KiB) Viewed 690 times
handle 3.jpg
handle 3.jpg (51.67 KiB) Viewed 690 times
handle 4.jpg
handle 4.jpg (52.55 KiB) Viewed 690 times
Ed from Rhode Island

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yer table and carriage and crank shaft are bass ackwards which also places the lever etc. on the 'backside' of the table. i.e. shorty drill press???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Yes, shorty drill press.
Ed from Rhode Island

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

That explains the divergence of our comments.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝