Bad morning. Looking for fair CDA SS parts reseller.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

shackman66
Silver Member

Bad morning. Looking for fair CDA SS parts reseller.

Post by shackman66 »

After pursuing a power coupler solution on this board I wound up ordering "Power Coupler Square Dowel" from stius76 on Ebay (shipment was received incomplete). First time powering up my Magna 610/620/630 since getting them. The jigsaw and jointer ran without a hitch. The bandsaw ran fine cutting a couple of 8ish inch "live edge biscuits" then trying to resaw some 2x4s for fun until bang - the bandsaw stopped and the dowel in the coupler adapter was spinning and melted the interface round.

Long and short..the lower tire failed, damaging the bandsaw cover and managed to bind things up long enough to toast the coupler adapter. I don't know if a SS power coupler would have failed but frustrating none the less. I live in Canada and Ebay shipping charges are f---ed. Looking for a fair price for a couple of blades and a set of tires from the same vendor. Redirects appreciated.
MK5 344440 - 1956, MK5 100952 - 1981, Magna Model 610, Magna Model 620, Magna Model 630
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Bad morning. Looking for fair CDA SS parts reseller.

Post by RFGuy »

Sorry this happened. Based on past feedback on this forum, I would say double-check the hub alignment between the bandsaw and the Mark V. I do believe others have had issues with the plastic couplers breaking due to any small mis-alignment between the drive hub on the Mark V and the bandsaw connection. There are other options available, but no necessarily cheap. There are even 3D printed metal versions available. I don't have any experience with these so I can't say how well they work. Many advocate for plastic only couplers because it is a kind of failsafe to protect headstock damage in case anything binds up in an SPT such as the bandsaw. So, I am not sure if these are a good idea or not because of this...

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?t ... =shopsmith
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

This must be the other problem you referred to. It is possible the OEM Shopsmith Coupler could have been damaged with the "event" you described. There are things designed into the Shopsmith to help protect it from damage should an event like yours occurs. One is the drive in the Headstock using the Poly V belt that can slip on the pulleys. Unfortunately the coupler you were using was sacrificed in the event. You didn't say how the lower tire failed or which type of tire you have on your Bandsaw. I would be interested in knowing that. I have tried the Urethane Bandsaw Tires and didn't have any problem with them but do like the rubber glue on tires better. Just my personal preference. Both have there pluses and minuses. I recently had a Bandsaw I restored with rubber tires that were severely cracked all the way around both wheels but still holding on. I didn't try to run a blade on them but I think they could have still worked.

Sorry I have no experience on getting parts sent to Canada but Ron aka RPD may have some helpful advice if he reads this thread.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
shackman66
Silver Member

Post by shackman66 »

Saddest thing is the drill press/band saw were of most immediate value to me. To be fair the tire was probably original 1950s. I can accept that. The subsequent failure was at the drive end where the wood drive shaft entered the printed hub adapter. The wood drive shaft corners sheared off (good) and then it spun around for all of a second while I reached over to turn off the headstock and the hub adapter melted. Not sure how an SS coupler would have faired. Alignment wasn't an issue. I liked the prospect that the failure point would be a 3/4" pine shaft I could cut myself essentially for free. That's not how this played out. $45ish bucks in the shitter. I have a couple of blocks of aluminum I could have, should have made hub adapters from. A bit of drilly drilly then sitting on the front porch, scratchy scratchy for a couple of hours. They wouldn't have been pretty but they wouldn't have gone melty melty.
MK5 344440 - 1956, MK5 100952 - 1981, Magna Model 610, Magna Model 620, Magna Model 630