Miter gauge feet/sliders

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bpress1954
Bronze Member

Re: Miter gauge feet/sliders

Post by bpress1954 »

I just put some WD40 on it and I'm letting it soak. I have a screwdriver that will fit, but I looked in the hole with magnifying glass and I don't see a slot. The mystery deepens.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

The slot or hex hole may have been stripped out. I have a tiny screwdriver that has an augur head that I've used to turn them. Maybe a sheet metal screw would work. Something just has to dig into the plastic to turn it.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
bpress1954
Bronze Member

Post by bpress1954 »

It's doubtful that the slot is stripped because I bought this machine new and I have only adjusted them once, but thanks for your input. I think they are just stuck in the hole.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

My experience is that they require more torque than one would expect, especially when 'new'..
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG is correct. Because they are nylon and not metal they can have a much tighter fit. A good thing for keeping them in place but a bad thing when it comes time to adjust or remove them.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

bpress1954 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:40 pm . . . but I looked in the hole with magnifying glass and I don't see a slot. The mystery deepens.
The slots in mine were filled with some crud. Fill the hole with wd40 then blast it with compressed air a few times. Should clean out enough gunk so you can feel the screwdriver fall into the slot. Push in hard when turning so you don't strip the slot.
Mike
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper