Shopsmith 10ER Lathe Parts Needed

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

SuperDave402
Bronze Member

Shopsmith 10ER Lathe Parts Needed

Post by SuperDave402 »

Good morning everyone. I have a 10ER that was my Grandpa's and I have used it quite a bit ( Built some really nice things for my daughters with it ). I need some parts for the Lathe setup though. I am missing the Floating Center and Nut from my tail stock, and am wondering if anyone has a line on a business or person that has some 10ER parts for sale?

Thanks in advance for any information.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith 10ER Lathe Parts Needed

Post by chapmanruss »

Since the Model 10ER has been out of production since the end of 1953 all parts must be found on the used market or finding someone fabricating them. I find needed parts for my Model 10 restorations mostly on ebay. Finding just the Floating Center is uncommon but you often can find them for sale with a tailstock. Something to keep in mind is the Model 10E tailstock did not have a floating center but was designed to use the wood extension table not the metal one you should have.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
SuperDave402
Bronze Member

Post by SuperDave402 »

chapmanruss wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:43 pm Since the Model 10ER has been out of production since the end of 1953 all parts must be found on the used market or finding someone fabricating them. I find needed parts for my Model 10 restorations mostly on ebay. Finding just the Floating Center is uncommon but you often can find them for sale with a tailstock. Something to keep in mind is the Model 10E tailstock did not have a floating center but was designed to use the wood extension table not the metal one you should have.

Thanks. I know it is beyond old and parts are hard to come by. Ebay has always been my go to but this one is a bit obscure and I hoping to avoid buying an entire tail stock jut get the Floating center. I had a line on a place in Texas that sells 10 and 10ER parts but he didn't have it by itself. So maybe the whole thing will be the way I have to go. Thanks though.

http://www.mkctools.com/10erparts.htm
Iis the URL for the Parts place in Texas if anyone is interested.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Skip Campbell at MKC Tools has been restoring Shopsmith Tools for a long time and has some parts he has fabricated. I believe Skip has recently been down-sizing his operation though.

If you end up getting the Floating Center with a Tailstock you could consider and extra extension table to go with it. I find it helpful to have one on each end sometimes for table saw work. Both my Model 10ER with metal extension tables and my Model 10E with wood extension tables are set up that way.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

chapmanruss wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:12 pm
If you end up getting the Floating Center with a Tailstock you could consider and extra extension table to go with it. I find it helpful to have one on each end sometimes for table saw work. Both my Model 10ER with metal extension tables and my Model 10E with wood extension tables are set up that way.
I have been thinking about doing that. It would be great to have that extra table on my 10ER. That was put on hold though, I’ve been distracted with my Mark 5 and associated SPTs since I got them.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)