Mark VII Low Speed Too Fast

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

miken
Gold Member

Re: Mark VII Low Speed Too Fast

Post by miken »

JPG wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:56 pm Trying to get a predictable result with all the current varying belt designs is a z00.
I think I will set this issue aside until I have more ambition or boredom to resolve it. Was hoping for an easy adjustment fix.
Appreciate the replies, Mike
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

I was going to try a metric belt but I got lazy and that 100 RPM wasn't that important to me anymore.
14MM = .551"; 13MM= .512".
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Smithy SuperShop 720, Powerkraft RAS,Craftsman RAS, Ridgid TS2412 Table Saw,
Delta 12" planer
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

lahola1 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:00 am I was going to try a metric belt but I got lazy and that 100 RPM wasn't that important to me anymore.
Yes, there are a lot of factors involved here that I admit I don't fully understand. In theory, with normal fixed pulleys, an increase in the larger pulley diameter would cause a decrease in the RPM of that pulley. So I was thinking a longer belt would actually be better, but there is that auto-adjusting spring on the end of the drive pulley that is taking up some of the additional length of belt, so it is not simply increasing the larger (eccentric) pulley alone.

Anyway, if belt width is the problem, I wonder if adding a spacer to the eccentric side of the idler would push the pulley (#15) slightly toward the speed cam effectively creating a wider belt at the top pulley only? Maybe I will give that a try just to see what happens? :D However, need to be careful because I think my spring (#20) is compressed about as far is possible, so that bottom pulley diameter can't really get much smaller. :eek: I think it may be a combination of a spacer on the top pulley, and a slightly longer belt that has some potential to lower the speed?

Mike -
Attachments
Spacer-Shim.png
Spacer-Shim.png (126.88 KiB) Viewed 680 times
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

lahola1 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:00 am I was going to try a metric belt but I got lazy and that 100 RPM wasn't that important to me anymore.
Just a follow-up, curiosity got the better of me so I threw a 1/8" +/- washer in between the eccentric and the spindle drive belt. It did lower the RPM's to 710, measured twice. It's hard to see in the below picture but the washer is there. I can no longer rotate the speed cam to exactly align 700 with the indicator arrow on the headstock, but that is an easy fix I think. My belt measured 15/32" wide. If I add 1/8" it is about 0.59". I don't think they make a belt that size, next size up is 21/32" (5L - 0.656), but a 15mm is 0.59". Just thought I'd share.

Thanks, Mike
Attachments
spacer.jpg
spacer.jpg (37 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Adding washers to alter the sheave positioning will create misalignment of the belt to the opposing pulley. The movable sheaves move in opposite directions. At the extreme positionS, the movable sheave aligns with the opposing pulley fixed sheave.

Adding the washer to the fixed end of the idler pulley is the same as moving the control sheave closer*(all else unchanged, but the belt will be slightly skewed.).* i.e. speed dial towards slow

Considering the small thickness of that washer, demonstrates how a small alteration creates a significant alteration of the end result. Belt width effect is doubled since it affects two different pulley diameters.

I went through the adding washers exercise also. Decided it was not the best thing to do.

Y'all need to realize we are using worn parts that change Lord knows what!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

And a 100 RPM difference effects what? Nothing in my opinion. That is why SS didn't put RPM's on the speed dial.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ya it is ONLY about a 15% deviation.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

And again :) before we had cheap digital tachs nobody knew. Inventing problems that don't exist.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:43 pm And again :) before we had cheap digital tachs nobody knew. Inventing problems that don't exist.
Perhaps, but do realize the MVII has actual rpm indications on the speed control dial.

I firmly believe with the correct belt and new condition parts the scale is reasonably accurate. 15% error is not reasonable.

And I am not one to think the numbers are all that relevant. They are a starting point to set the speed. The operation will tell if it needs to be altered.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

JPG wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:57 pm . . . I went through the adding washers exercise also. Decided it was not the best thing to do. . .
I agree JPG. I was only trying to determine what affect it would have, and try to figure out a belt width that may be better. I already stated the 100RPM is not very important. I wasn't trying to create any problems, just tinkering around. ;)

Mike -
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper