Frankensmith?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

NotATool
Bronze Member

Frankensmith?

Post by NotATool »

First time poster - go easy on me...

A friend sent me a photo of this 10ER and I cannot figure out the extra pulley.

Is this a built-in speed changer? Is this to operate SPTs? Is the extra pulley a good thing? Bad thing?

Love this forum and the countless volunteer hours my fellow 10ER users devote to it. Thank you!
Frankensmith
Frankensmith
00d0d_eOOTYUAFl49z_0jm0ew_1200x900.jpg (344.72 KiB) Viewed 947 times
David Long

10E, 10ER and SPT Galore

“A decline in tool use would seem to betoken a shift in our relationship to our own stuff: more passive and more dependent. And indeed, there are fewer occasions for the kind of spiritedness that is called forth when we take things in hand for ourselves, whether to fix them or to make them." ― Matthew B. Crawford, Shop Class as Soulcraft
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Frankensmith?

Post by jsburger »

NotATool wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:28 pm First time poster - go easy on me...

A friend sent me a photo of this 10ER and I cannot figure out the extra pulley.

Is this a built-in speed changer? Is this to operate SPTs? Is the extra pulley a good thing? Bad thing?

Love this forum and the countless volunteer hours my fellow 10ER users devote to it. Thank you!

00d0d_eOOTYUAFl49z_0jm0ew_1200x900.jpg
It is not original. It is not for STP's as there is no way to mount them or drive them in the photo. Possibly a home made way to get different speeds. Not more speeds but different speeds. Strange!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Not only is the extra pulley, as indicated by the arrow below, non-standard but the bases, as indicated by the circles, are not OEM. It looks like besides playing with the speeds they were trying to do some kind of double tilt replacing the headrest with an additional base and arm with both bases being homemade. I wonder what speeds that pulley setup gives that early Model 10ER. It is hard to tell for sure from the picture but it may not be changing speeds much over what is available normally without that interim pulley addition. The motor has a 4 step pulley instead of a 3 step one and the interim pulleys go from a 3 step to a single pulley than to a 2 step pulley on the drive sleeve if I am seeing it all correctly. How much of the motors effort is lost with the interim pulley addition would be a concern for myself. I think I will stay with the original pulley system and 7 speeds or use the speed changer. I also wonder if this Model 10ER was originally a demo unit since it has a Logo/Serial Number Plate on the back side of the headstock as shown in the picture.

_
Frankensmith.jpg
Frankensmith.jpg (171.32 KiB) Viewed 897 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

If the pulley block on the drive sleeve was reversed, that would give a High/Low range option and expand the speed range available.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
NotATool
Bronze Member

Post by NotATool »

Glad to get you 10ER experts on the case. Thanks for your wisdom!

I like the high/low speed range idea. Seems logical to me. But also agree that the lost power from additional pulley is a high price for two speeds. Was the 10ER speed controller available as an option from the start? Maybe this machine predates that accessory?

Rather than have two homemade bases, wouldn’t it be smarter to keep the original base and add an extra base on the other side? Hand building two folding bases seems like a lot of work. And for what? Under table routing?

Could this be an early SS prototype? Or do we think this rusty machine is simply some Frankenstein’s monster?

Thanks again.

David
David Long

10E, 10ER and SPT Galore

“A decline in tool use would seem to betoken a shift in our relationship to our own stuff: more passive and more dependent. And indeed, there are fewer occasions for the kind of spiritedness that is called forth when we take things in hand for ourselves, whether to fix them or to make them." ― Matthew B. Crawford, Shop Class as Soulcraft
NotATool
Bronze Member

Post by NotATool »

More photos. More anomalies.
Shopsmith 10ER Frankenstein.jpg
Shopsmith 10ER Frankenstein.jpg (328.51 KiB) Viewed 826 times
SS Badge.jpg
SS Badge.jpg (244.27 KiB) Viewed 826 times
David Long

10E, 10ER and SPT Galore

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As shown in the last picture above it is a Model 10E serial number ER90?? that makes it having been made in the eastern plant. The Speed Changer was an early accessory that came out sometime after the introduction of the Shopsmith Model 10E. I am not sure exactly when the Speed Changer came out but it is in an early accessory catalog (date unknown) that predates another catalog it is in from May 1949. The pulley setup was likely done later since with the logo plate on the back side of the headstock it should have been a demo unit. Possibly added by the industrious person that made the custom bases. The pulley system may be to increase the speed to use it for under-table routing and shaping. Of course these are only guesses and will remain so unless the current owner knows the history of this 10E. The pulley adaptations I have seen until now have been to slow the Model 10's down for lathe work.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

chapmanruss wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:16 am As shown in the last picture above it is a Model 10E serial number ER90?? that makes it having been made in the eastern plant. The Speed Changer was an early accessory that came out sometime after the introduction of the Shopsmith Model 10E. I am not sure exactly when the Speed Changer came out but it is in an early accessory catalog (date unknown) that predates another catalog it is in from May 1949. The pulley setup was likely done later since with the logo plate on the back side of the headstock it should have been a demo unit. Possibly added by the industrious person that made the custom bases. The pulley system may be to increase the speed to use it for under-table routing and shaping. Of course these are only guesses and will remain so unless the current owner knows the history of this 10E. The pulley adaptations I have seen until now have been to slow the Model 10's down for lathe work.
I blew the picture up and it looks like ER9071.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT