MARK 2 Headstock Parts.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

MARK 2 Headstock Parts.

Post by JPG »

I recently acquired some MARK 2 internal headstock parts.

I post this for those curious or have a real need.

First the Quill.
MARK 2 QUILL.jpg
MARK 2 QUILL.jpg (382.84 KiB) Viewed 1155 times
The quill shaft is 6 spline.

The bearing is a Fafnir 202KDD5 (5/8" x 35mm x 11mm)

The rubber bumper ring is the same as all SS quills.

The knurled collar appears to be the same as all SS single bearing quills.

The bearing/shaft retention is the same as all SS single bearing quills.

The quill body is shorter (about 6").

The quill stop ring is the same as all SS quills.

The quill stop ring is the same distance from the quill body end as all SS quills(5/8").

The quill shaft length is about 10 3/4".

The quill shaft has the dual tapered flats like all SS quills.(one for collar, one for arbors.

The quill body od is the same as all SS quills (1 3/4").

Then the Drive Sleeve.
MARK 2 DRIVE SLEEVE.jpg
MARK 2 DRIVE SLEEVE.jpg (233.23 KiB) Viewed 1155 times
The nylon coupler attaches to the quill drive shaft by two screws. I have not yet verified, but I think the screws go into threaded inserts in the nylon body AND into threads in the actual drive shaft.

Only the nylon coupler has the splines(the drive shaft has a larger id that clears the splines).

Although it looks similar to a greenie dust cap, it is a real coupler.

The long shaft is 5/8" od and is long to accommodate both the SPT hub and also the drive pulley.

The bearings are Fafnir 205KDD and 205KDDG(25mm x 52mm x 15mm). One is grooved for an external stop ring.

I assume the cupped set screw mark on the 25mm portion of the end of the shaft is for a 1"(25.4mm) id pulley.

I do not know what the other set screw marks are from, but the inner one appears to be a flat end set screw and the outer one appears to be from a serrated cup(but that part of the shaft is hardened.

I assume the darker section is that exposed over time(slight rust).

Next the quill feed shaft.
MARK 2 QUILL FEED.jpg
MARK 2 QUILL FEED.jpg (381.7 KiB) Viewed 1155 times
A major difference from other SS is the feed shaft lever exists only on the back side(right side in drill press mode).

The shaft has the three indentations like all other SS.

The shaft is 5/8" od on both ends.

I assume the end with the short shaft goes into a bore in the inside of the headstock.

I assume the groove in the pinion gear provides for retention.

The return spring is the same as all other SS.

The depth stop provides a major difference. The scale stops at 3"! So the shorter quill only allows for a shorter feed range.

The depth stop is also very different from other SS.

The stop ring has the stop tab integrated. I assume the tab stops against a tab on the outside of the headstock.

The depth adjustment is also very different. The stop collar is loosened(5/32 flat ended set screw) and is rotated on the shaft. the shaft has a smaller od portion that the set screw bears against when retightened.

Next post - Someone else 'discovered' how to eliminate the dreaded return spring pin jumped out of keyed hole. Clue is in the last pix.

Later some unique to Mark 2 parts.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Quill return spring auto reseat

Post by JPG »

Not a new thingie, but whoever had these Mark 2 parts also discovered how to make reinstalling the spring onto the quill shaft pin very easy.

It is easier to demonstrate with Mark 2 pix.

The quill spring is formed(bent) so the shaft and pin fit into the newly shaped spring.
MARK 2 QUILL SPRING.jpg
MARK 2 QUILL SPRING.jpg (352.96 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
Note there is room for the pin(this one seems high(maybe it is inserted on top of an earlier one???)

Note the spring wraps around the shaft at it's end.

When the shaft is rotated, the pin slips into the keyhole shaped slot in the spring.
MARK 2 QUILL SPRING SEATED.jpg
MARK 2 QUILL SPRING SEATED.jpg (383.63 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
No futzing no prying.

Note the relaxed positioning of the spring has the end naturally slightly bearing against the shaft.

FWIW it can also be made to slip out as easily thus preventing breaking the spring.

I do not know what the hooked end attaches to on a Mark 2, but This will work even with the outer layers of the spring contained in the Mark xxx spring housing.

SEE below for answers to questions.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: MARK 2 Headstock Parts.

Post by JPG »

So it now be 'soon'.

First what I surmise to be the standoff for the belt cover and the drive sleeve collar.
belt mount.jpg
belt mount.jpg (321.07 KiB) Viewed 977 times
1/4 - 20 threads both ends.
I assume the cover goes between the large shoulder and the knob.
I assume the nut is a lock nut and the standoff also is threaded into the headstock.

The collar fits very nicely on the large portion of the drive sleeve shaft. It covers the bearing/groove ring/screws(see posts below).

Now the belt tension relief crank.
belt tension crank.jpg
belt tension crank.jpg (201.11 KiB) Viewed 977 times
The threads are 1/2" double lead.
Thread pitch is 5/32(one revolution).
The larger washer(1/2") goes between the spring end and the handle.
I assume the two smaller(3/8")washers belong here(one flat and one 'spring'(?).
belt tension crank assembled.jpg
belt tension crank assembled.jpg (228.36 KiB) Viewed 977 times
Note the retaining clip groove at the shaft end.

Now a whatsit(I assume the motor is somehow attached).
motor whatsit 1.jpg
motor whatsit 1.jpg (362.9 KiB) Viewed 977 times
One of the two holes on the 'right' side had a hardened rubber grommet.
I assume they provide a cushioned pivot.
I have no idea how this attaches to the motor or how it 'works'.

No more parts.
Attachments
motor whatsit 2.jpg
motor whatsit 2.jpg (340.6 KiB) Viewed 977 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG,

Good description of the Mark 2 parts shown. In your second post you show and describe the Pinion Shaft and Quill Return Spring. To answer you last question about the Spring Housing, it is part of the Headstock casting itself as shown in the picture below.

_
Mark 2 spring housing.jpg
Mark 2 spring housing.jpg (143.81 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
This headstock is actually laying on its side but I re-oriented the picture to have it upright. That is the reason you see the way tubes where they are. It shows very well how the spring is in the Headstock casting. Also note the pin on the Pinion Shaft is raised just like the one you show. Below is a picture of the same side of the headstock (on a different one) showing the entire headstock for reference minus the motor.

_
Mark 2 Headstock back.jpg
Mark 2 Headstock back.jpg (151.37 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
The Mark 2 has a shorter quill extension as you stated. The Quill itself is shorter along with the Drive Sleeve being shorter internally thus the need for the plastic sleeve extending it.

I currently own two Mark 2's waiting to be restored. One is only missing the Mark 2 Miter which although looks pretty much the same as the Mark 5 Miter there are differences. It has no angle stops and a shorter bar without the locking set screw to hold it in the table. One Mark 2 I will keep and the other will be sold after restoration. Unfortunately there is damage to the fence rail on one table along with a cracked carriage. It is on the one I will be selling but have a Mark 5 table and carriage set up to replace it. That is one of the things about the Mark 2 in that the way tubes are spaced the same as the Mark 5 and the headstocks and carriages can be interchanged.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

This is from the topic Shopsmith Mark 5 What When and Where in Community that JPG had commented on. I am bringing this back to this topic to answer JPG's comment in the last sentence.
The Mark 2 drive sleeve I recently acquired does NOT have the splines in the metal interior of the drive sleeve. It looks identical to the one in Jacob Anderson's video(late gilmer). Only the coupler has the splines.

(Link Deleted)

I am curious re the groove/ring in the rear drive sleeve bearing.
The groove and split ring on the rear drive sleeve bearing is used to hold the Drive Sleeve in place in the Mark 2 Headstock. The picture below shows the opening the Drive Sleeve Assembly goes into. Note one screw & washer is shown in place which the two hold the split ring in the indent around the opening.

_
Mark 2 Headstock Drive Sleeve Opening.jpg
Mark 2 Headstock Drive Sleeve Opening.jpg (202.17 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
Below is a complete Mark 2 Drive Sleeve Assembly. The complete assembly has a collar between the grooved bearing and the shaft for the pulley and SPT hub. JPG's picture of the Drive Sleeve Assembly does not show that collar.

_
Mark 2 Drive Sleeve.jpg
Mark 2 Drive Sleeve.jpg (138.25 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
In the quote from JPG above he is correct about there being no splines inside the metal part of the Drive Sleeve Shaft and only the plastic coupler has the splines.

Something to keep in mind about the Mark 2 was that it was made as a less expensive alternative to the Mark 5. It uses simpler and less costly ways of assembling a tool that still has the functions of the Mark 5 and is compatible with many of the accessories including the SPT's. The biggest difference between the Mark 2 and the Mark 5 is the Mark 2 uses pulleys to change the 7 available speeds like the Model 10's whereas the Mark 5 has the variable speed. The Mark 2 uses the same way of raising and lowering the table as the Model 10's.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

THANK YOU!!!! Unknowns resolved.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

JPG wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:50 pm THANK YOU!!!! Unknowns resolved. (except the 'whatsit')
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

JPG wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:52 pm
JPG wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:50 pm THANK YOU!!!! Unknowns resolved. (except the 'whatsit')
I think I figured out your ‘whatsit’. I found an article in Scott’s old Tool-Hunter site that shows a drawing of the Mark 2’s internal components. The forked prongs ride on a large threaded nut/bearing (?) that moves back and forth as you turn the belt tensioner crank (the other part you asked about just above the whatsit). It looks to me like the movement of this part ultimately raises and lowers the motor, changing the tension on the belt. Scott says that turning the crank allows you to loosen the belt so you can change the pulleys it rides in, thus changing the speed, like on the old 10ER.

1958 Magna Mark II Article "The New Mark 2 Shopsmith” is found at:
http://www.tool-hunter.com/shopsmith-po ... ii-article

Scroll down to page 4 and click on the image to expand the PDF.

Below is a crop of the pertinent drawing.

1958 Magna Mark II Article "The New Mark 2 Shopsmith”
1958 Magna Mark II Article "The New Mark 2 Shopsmith”
28CB8A83-CB8D-48FA-BAD7-F39F822ACCCC.jpeg (96.82 KiB) Viewed 953 times
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yep you found it. You also verified the belt cover retaining stud etc on page 4.

I wonder about only two bolts attaching the motor. :eek: The drawing shows another plate?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

It looks to me like the drawing does not show everything. It does not seem that 2 bolts would be enough to hold the heavy motor, I suspect that the motor is also connected at your bracket's pivot point. That would provide both stability and enable the motor to be moved nearly straight up and down. But it does look like there is another plate between your bracket and the motor.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)