MARK 2 Headstock Parts.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: MARK 2 Headstock Parts.

Post by chapmanruss »

I'll address some of the pictures and questions from JPG's 3rd post above. Marc has provided a nice drawing of the headstock which is a good reference. In the 1st picture in JPG's 3rd post he shows the post with jam nut, knob and the collar from the drive sleeve. The threaded post goes into the center of the pulley end of the headstock with the jam nut end. The knob holds the plastic belt cover on against the flange.

The 4th and 5th pictures are the motor mount with the curved and split part that goes on the grooved collar that is not shown in JPG's pictures 2 and 3 of the Belt Tension Adjustment Crank. The motor is indeed attached only by two bolts to the motor mount. The motor mount is attached by a rod to the motor cover casting that bolts to the headstock. This can be seen in the picture below.

_
Mark 2 motor and mounting.jpg
Mark 2 motor and mounting.jpg (145.02 KiB) Viewed 475 times
You can see the rod sticking out the casting in the upper left corner of the picture and the motor mount pivots on that rod allowing the motor to move up and down to tension the belt.

In the picture below you are looking inside the bottom of the headstock. The drive sleeve is at the top with the shaft for the SPT hub above the headstock casting. The Belt tensioning assembly is across the center of the inside of the headstock in which you can see the missing part from JPG's pictures above which is that grooved collar the motor mount curved and split part goes on either side of to move the motor up and down. The collar is threaded and moves back and forth. It has a groove on each side and is shown with one groove facing the camera.

_
Mark 2 inside headstock.jpg
Mark 2 inside headstock.jpg (127.1 KiB) Viewed 475 times
Sorry for the still dirty parts but this Mark 2 is still in the process of being cleaned up and is not the first one I plan on restoring although other than the headstock it has been disassembled. The other Mark 2 is still mostly assembled. For these pictures I have been taking some of the items apart.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

I’m glad to see some photos of the mounted part. The bracket is much heavier duty than JPGs photo led me to believe. The threaded “nut” the forked part of the bracket rides in looks about how I envisioned it.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Like I have done on one my more recent Model 10 restorations I plan to take pictures of all the individual parts before reassembling the Mark 2 and will do some pictures of assemblies also as it goes back together, likely repeating the assemblies shown in the pictures above but prettier. I don't expect to have one ready to go back together until at least next summer. This winter will be cleaning up parts for the Mark 2's and I have the 2 Model 10E's to work on including making new wood benches following the original Magna plans

Both of the Mark 2's I have used the metal bench tubes, not the wood bench rails found on some of them.

JPG'

I hope you don't feel like I am hijacking your thread but I believe you would agree that what you started here can be a great source for Mark 2 information.

For those interested, below is a summary of what I know about the Shopsmith Mark 2.

1958 to 1960 Mark 2 (5-in-1 tool)

Introduced in December of 1957 by Magna Power Tool Corporation. This unit was made at Montgomery Ward’s request and sold primarily by them. It was not made to the same quality standards as the Mark 5 and was a lower cost alternative while still providing the same five functions. It has an 8” saw blade capacity instead of the 9” saw blade of the Mark 5 at the time. The Mark 2 uses a ½ HP or optional ¾ HP motor while the Mark 5 had a ¾ HP motor that later changed to a 1-1/8 HP motor. It uses two 2-step pulleys (a 2”/3” and a 3”/4”) to change the 7 speeds much like the Model 10E and 10ER instead of the variable speed of the Mark 5. The Way Tubes are shorter at 48” long. An interesting feature of the Mark 2 is the Headrest which is a pin-able version of the Base and Arm which functions much like the newer Mark 7 Double Tilt feature. It has lower quality locks to hold the headstock, carriage, etc. in place. They work like the locks found on the Model 10’s but are made of lower quality materials and finish. It has an extra saw blade slot on the main table (a feature added to the Mark 5 in the 1960’s and 1970’s). Some Mark 2’s have round metal bench tubes while others have rounded top rails made out of wood to connect the bench ends and legs together. It could be purchased with or without the bench. Instructions included making your own wood bench. The Miter looks similar but is different than the Mark 5’s as it has no angle stops and a shorter bar without the lock to hold it in place in the table slot. It has a narrow step shape extension table that creates its own fence and serves as the tailstock with a small block attachment. There are very few individual parts that are interchangeable with the Mark 5. The Mark 5 Headstock will fit on the Mark 2 frame. Even the table system can be changed to the Mark V or 7’s. The Mark 2 can also hold and power Add-a-tools later known as Special Purpose Tools made for the Mark 5/V’s and Mark VII/7’s. It has only one hub for powering SPT’s so different length posts may be needed for some SPT’s. It started out with the “Greenie” colors and later changed to gray.

At the time of its introduction the Mark 2 was priced at $179.90 (less bench and motor) compared to the Mark 5 at $329.50. The Bench legs with tubes cost $19.95 and the ½ HP motor was $34.95 making the total for a Mark 2 to be comparably equipped to the Mark 5 at $234.80 and still considerably less than the Mark 5.

The Mark 2 works more like it’s a Model 10 trying to look more like a Mark 5.

At some point it was sold with a Wards Powr-Kraft label replacing the Shopsmith logo/serial number plate.
Last edited by chapmanruss on Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

"I hope you don't feel like I am hijacking your thread but I believe you would agree that what you started here can be a great source for Mark 2 information."

I ain't upset.

I DO agree.

Hijack any time!!!! Keep me straight any time!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange