10er table finish?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DarrenDD
Gold Member

Re: 10er table finish?

Post by DarrenDD »

Twistsol & Russ,
Thank you both for the responses. Russ, thanks for the heads up on the dimensions, I can always count on the thorough information you consistently provide, it is appreciated. I intend to build somewhat a custom designed bench for this 10er.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

John Burger did a custom size top on Shopsmith/Magna Metal Bench Ends for one of his Model 10ER restorations. It is at the link below and is his 3rd post on that page.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23647&start=10

As he described it the boards hang over the edges of the top a bit but the bench ends are positioned at their normal spacing. His bench came out beautifully.

Below is the 10E I talked about in my previous post. The bench has a stained finish. The wood Extension Table has a natural finish to protect the replicated table. The original Wood Extension Table was in bad shape as most of the ones that came with 10E's I have bought to restore have been.

_
1077 restored 11-14-18.jpg
1077 restored 11-14-18.jpg (119.99 KiB) Viewed 742 times
The picture below shows Model 10E S/N 4708 in the foreground with a non stained finish showing the boards original color. You can also see a corner of the bench for it in the lower right corner of the picture above. The three Model 10's behind it do not have a finish on the wood and the Model 10ER in the back has the same finish as the front one although its bench cannot be seen very well in the picture.

_
4708-8865-55582-R57376-R64000 full.jpg
4708-8865-55582-R57376-R64000 full.jpg (154.69 KiB) Viewed 742 times
Sorry about "showing off" the picture above but the ones I took the day I had five Model 10's lined up are some of my favorite pictures. It is the only time I have had that many restored Model 10's at one time. The three in the middle were sold soon after that. I still have the one in the back of the picture as it was my first restoration. The file name is the serial numbers of those Model 10's.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DarrenDD
Gold Member

Post by DarrenDD »

Russ,
Thanks for sharing the photos. You do exceptional work.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I really love seeing beautifully restored machines...
These reminded me of a Model 10-ER project I need to get to soon. A former owner of my 10-ER must have been a little shorter than average. Instead of building the bench with the boards sitting on top of the steel legs as pictured in this thread, he put them underneath making it stand a bit lower to the floor.
Since I do not expect to use the 10-ER as a table saw or any of the other regular functions more than very rarely, but commonly as a semi dedicated lathe, I expect to not only move the boards to the top of the steel legs, I plan to raise the working height at least another inch above that. My back really complains when I lean over to work.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Bench height is a factor on comfortable use and is directly related to the users height. The last Model 10ER I sold was still on the bench it came to me on. That bench was 24" tall instead of the standard 20" height. Being 6' 2" tall I found that bench height to still be very comfortable for me to work over even in Table Saw mode. I too have back problems and am careful at not over stress it.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.